SCLS ILS Committee Minutes

April 4, 2018 10 a.m.

Action Items:

Approved the Collection Maintenance Subcommittee recommendation that the following Collection Codes be created:

                                                              i.      PBJFIBI (PICTURE BOOKS JU FIC BILINGUAL)

                                                            ii.      PBJNFBI (PICTURE BOOKS JU NFIC BILINGUAL)

                                                          iii.      PBJBBBI (PICTURE BOOKS JU BOARD BOOKS BILINGUAL)

Meeting Documents: http://www.scls.info/committees/ils-committee/2018-04-04

Present: E. Foley, ACL (1), E. Glade, PCPL (4); E. Judd, SKC (5); E. Norton, MCM (6); S. Lee, M. Warren, MAD (11, 13); M. Navarre Saaf, MAD (12); B. Faherty, MID (8), T. Herold, DCL (9, 10), H. Cox, MCF (7).

Absent: C. Borck, WID (2), A. Noel, BRD (3).

SCLS Staff Present: V. Teal Lovely, A. Gannaway, M. Van Pelt, Recorder: M. Karls. 

(The number following each individual indicates the cluster they represent)

 

2.      Call to Order.  V. Teal Lovely called the meeting to order at 10:02 am.

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors. None.  

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda.  None.

c.       Requests to address the Committee.  None.

 

3.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: March 7, 2018.  H. Cox moved approval of the March 7, 2018 ILS Committee Minutes.  S. Lee seconded.  Vote: motion carried. 

4.      Action Items

a.      The Collection Maintenance Subcommittee recommends that the following Collection Codes be created:

                                                              i.      PBJFIBI (PICTURE BOOKS JU FIC BILINGUAL)

                                                            ii.      PBJNFBI (PICTURE BOOKS JU NFIC BILINGUAL)

                                                          iii.      PBJBBBI (PICTURE BOOKS JU BOARD BOOKS BILINGUAL)

The committee approved the creation of codes PFJFIBI, PBJNFBI, and PBJBBBI. 

5.      Discussion

a.      Cataloging Contract

                                                              i.      The Cataloging Contract is very similar to the previous one.  The biggest change is in the Appendix.  In the last few years, we were moving toward MAD doing authority control and most of the database work.  MAD has had a few main catalogers retire and one that is still being trained.  SCLS is taking back responsibility and day to day work for database maintenance and authority control.  As a result, MAD has offered to reduce their Cataloging fee by $50,000.  MAD will still fix things they find.  This will allow SCLS to keep the LTE position, which has been very helpful to ILS Staff.  The contract  received a major  revision two years ago..  The Cataloging Contract for 2019 will be voted on at the next meeting (June). 

b.      Review service priorities for May All Directors

                                                              i.      Are there any new services we are planning to offer?  There was mention of the digital library card project.  There have been more requests for this.  It might be useful to look at the apps (Boopsie) and see if digital library cards costs are included.  We will be reviewing mobile apps in the next year or so. Proquest has spoken with SCLS staff recently and they offered us a lower price for Syndetics Unbound (a combination of Syndetics Solutions and Library Thing for Libraries) than they had last year.  The contract is for three years and the annual increase will also be 2.5% and not 3%. These projects can move forward without input from members and much is dependent on the decision regarding the shared ILS. One service priority option that we could put before the members is contributing to Contingency for development (see budget proposal discussion below).

c.       Preliminary 2019 ILS budget proposal

                                                              i.      Vicki reviewed the changes to the budget.  For ILS Staff and salaries, we have added $50,000 that is coming from the reduced cataloging costs, since the work will be absorbed by ILS staff.  Vicki made an error in the budget last year and included the entire amount for the year for development in the LibLime support budget resulting in an overcharge to libraries of $5,000 by mistake, but it will go into contingency.  The amount currently in contingency would probably be enough to get us through a migration with a vendor.  When we migrated to Koha we were putting $40,000 into contingency each year but this was gradually reduced to nothing in order to keep fees to libraries lower.  SCLS gets money from Biblioteca for support ($20,000 minimum).  We might look at shifting this money over to contingency. There was support from the group for considering adding contributions to Contingency in order to support ongoing development to the shared ILS software.

d.      Update on Script, extension and API policy

                                                              i.      Lucas Schneider from MAD, M. Navarre Saafe from MAD and H. Cox from MCF will serve on a work group to finalize this process/policy.  SCLS is investigating their cyber insurance to see what is covered.  We see increasing demand for creating scripts, extensions and APIs that have access to the shared ILS.  LibLime is open to looking at these in order to provide a third party opinion. .        

6.      Reports

a.      April ILS report (you may view this online)

b.      Report from the CSC Subcommittee – March 13, 2018.  M. Navarre Saaf reviewed the minutes from the meeting.

c.       Report from the CMC Subcommittee – March 14, 2018.  A. Gannaway reviewed the minutes from the meeting.

d.      Report from the PACC Subcommittee – March 21, 2018.  A. Gannaway reviewed the minutes from the meeting.

7.      Items from clusters:    None.

 

8.      Plan for Next meeting:  June 6, 2018

a.      Approval of Cataloging Agreement

b.      Approval of 2019 ILS Budget

c.       Review draft policy for APIs and Scripts

 

9.   Meeting evaluation and summary

10. Adjournment at 11:05 am.

SCLS staff is available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.

For more information about the ILS committee, contact Vicki Teal Lovely.