ILS Committee Minutes

October 03, 2018, 10 am

SCLS Headquarters
Chester Room

 

Meeting Documents: https://www.scls.info/committees/ils-committee/2018-10-03

To phone in to a meeting: call 800-511-7983, use access code 628394#.

 

Present: E. Foley, ACL (1), A. Noel, BRD (3), E. Glade, PCPL (4); E. Judd, SKC (5); E. Norton, MCM (6); M. Navarre Saaf, MAD (12); B. Faherty, MID (8), H. Cox, MCF (7), S. Lee, M. Warren, MAD (11, 13)

 Absent: C. Borck, WID (2), T. Herold, DCL (9, 10)

 Excused: None

 SCLS Staff Present: V. Teal Lovely, A. Gannaway, M. Van Pelt

Recorder: M. Karls

 

 

1.      Call to Order at 10:02 am.

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors.

                                                              i.       None.

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      Under Discussion C – add OverDrive IDC (digital card)

c.       Requests to address the Committee. 

                                                              i.      None.

 

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: August 1, 2018.

a.      Discussion: B. Faherty requested a change under Action item a. iii. – “MID opposed.  (Cluster 8 did not offer a response).” 

b.      Motion: B. Faherty moved to approve the August minutes as amended.  M. Warren seconded.

c.       Vote: motion carried.

 

3.      Action Items

a.      Vote on Purge of Charges on patron records (July 2018 CSS meeting minutes; August 2018 ILS meeting minutes)

                                                              i.      Discussion: M. Navarre Saaf recapped the discussion at previous CSS meetings.  CSS would like to purge all charges under $100 that are 10 years or older.  C. Weber of SCLS ran reports for the Subcommittee to look at.  This group felt this is old debt, which most likely won’t be collected.  This clean-up will be beneficial when we migrate to Bibliovation.  It was discussed at the Dane County Librarians meeting and libraries were in favor of it.  BRD library’s board was also in favor of it, but A. Noel isn’t comfortable moving forward without making sure all libraries are aware of this and they have their library boards’ support.  There was little response from cluster members.  Should this be voted on at the All Directors Meeting?  A spreadsheet of proposed charges were sent to directors to review in July.  This will be voted on at the November 15 All Directors meeting.  V. Teal Lovely will send re-send the list and email to Directors.  

                                                             ii.      Motion: None. 

                                                           iii.      Vote: None. 

b.      Approval of Proposed wording change to pre-overdue notices (September 2018 CSS meeting minutes)

                                                              i.      Discussion: Since more libraries are moving towards eliminating fines, CSS felt the wording should to be updated.  The group wanted to change “fines” to “possible charges.”   

                                                             ii.      Motion: The Circulation Services Subcommittee recommended that the wording on pre-overdue notices be changed.

                                                           iii.      Vote: motion carried. 

c.       From the Collection Maintenance Subcommittee (September CMS meeting minutes):

                                                              i.      New Shelving Location request from MRO: MIM (Made in Monroe)

                                                             ii.      Low use collection codes to delete: CAAWL (CASSETTES AD WORLD LANG)

                                                           iii.      Low use shelving locations to delete: GD (Government Documents), LS (Lower Stacks), PLC1F (Popular Library Collection, 1st Floor), RF1F (Reference, 1st Floor), RR (Reading Rainbow)

1.      Discussion: A. Gannaway explained the new Shelving Location request and reviewed the Collection Code and Shelving Locations to be deleted because of low use. 

2.      Motion: The Collection Maintenance Subcommittee recommended the addition and deletions listed above.

3.      Vote: motion carried. 

4.      Reports

a.      Update on Bibliovation Issuing Rules Workgroup

                                                              i.      Discussion: This group will be meeting for the first time in November. 

b.      Update on Self-check Evaluation Workgroup

                                                              i.      Discussion: This group will be meeting by phone for the first time in October. 

c.       Follow-up to Library Scripts review

                                                              i.      Discussion: C. Weber and B. Hahn of SCLS met with P. Williams at MID to discuss his scripts.  C. Weber wrote a document that summarizes their findings at MID.  Their general thought is that they don’t see any red flags.  They are still waiting to look at the final pieces and have a few small suggestions to tighten up the security aspect.  It doesn’t look like it will have to go to a third party vendor for review.  MAD’s script was also approved.  These scripts will go to CSS to discuss the next steps. 

d.      ILS Report

                                                              i.      Discussion: V. Teal Lovely reviewed the report. 

e.      Report from the Circulation Services Subcommittee – September 18, 2018  

                                                              i.      Discussion: M. Navarre Saaf reviewed the minutes from the last meeting. 

f.        Report from the Collection Maintenance Subcommittee – September 12, 2018

                                                              i.      Discussion: A. Gannaway reviewed the minutes from the last meeting.

g.      Report from the Discovery Interface Subcommittee – September 19, 2018

                                                              i.      Discussion: A. Gannaway reviewed the minutes from the last meeting.   

5.      Items from clusters for initial discussion – None.

 

6.      Discussion

a.      2019 Technology Plan: ILS section

                                                              i.      Discussion: The final plan will be approved at the December meeting.  This mostly pertains to Technology, but there is an ILS section for this committee to review.  The 2019 Technology Plan looks very similar to last year.  We will re-assess the importance of Linked Data – are libraries still moving towards this?  H. Cox (MCF) asked about OverDrive and cost increases in the future.  SCLS libraries are already paying the most and if we continue to drive up holds, it’s going to have financial implications in the future.  Self-check vendor investigation is new and the investigation is in response to lack of support from our current vendor, Bibliotheca.  Integrating E-content is the same as last year.  We think we would have to purchase the Ebsco Discovery Layer to make it work.  Please review the ILS section of this plan, so we can vote on this at the next meeting. 

b.      Prepare for fall ILS Bibliovation Demos

                                                              i.      Discussion: A reminder that Bibliovation demos are being held on October 31 and November 9.  It is noted that scheduling something on a holiday (like Halloween) where libraries may be doing programming may make it difficult for some libraries to attend—particularly smaller libraries.

c.       OverDrive IDC

                                                              i.      Discussion: This topic is more for the Administrative Council, but it also affects ILS.  OverDrive is offering a Digital library card.  M. Warrant (MAD) and H. Cox (MCF) will be working on reviewing this for our system for the Steering Committee.  SCLS staff also have a meeting scheduled for Friday to discuss this.  OverDrive IDC cards are good for a month.  How many items can a patron checkout?  How many holds can a patron place?  We are unsure if the holds get deleted after the card has expired.  If patrons do come in to get a regular library card, the digital card will need to be merged with their patron record so the patron doesn’t lose their holds.  There are a lot of questions that we have at this point.  Library systems should agree on limits (checkouts, holds, renewals, etc.).  Authentication by telephone number may be a problem.  IDC cards also doesn’t link to any PSTAT, so the funding formula would need to be changed. 

 

7.      Plan for Next meeting:  December 5, 2018

a.      Action: Approve 2019 Technology Plan: ILS section

b.      2019 Calendar

 

8.      Adjournment at 11:08 am.

 

For more information about the ILS Committee, contact Vicki Teal Lovely.

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.

 

ILS Committee/Minutes/10-2018