ILS Committee Minutes

February 6, 2019, 10 am

SCLS Headquarters
Chester Room

Action Items:

The ILS Committee 2019 Calendar was approved.

The Circulation Services Subcommittee recommends including all these additional problem item statuses to the Annual Batch Deletion process, Claims Returned, AV Repair, Defect Reported, Mending and Parts Missing, so that all items with problem statuses are included in the cleanup process.

 

Present: E. Foley, ACL (1), C. Borck, WID (2), A. Noel, BRD (3), E. Glade, PCPL (4), E. Norton, MCM (6); M. Navarre Saaf, MAD (12); B. Faherty, MID (8), H. Cox, MCF (7), N. Snortum, DCL (9, 10), M. Warren, MAD (11, 13)

Absent:

Excused: E. Judd, SKC (5), S. Lee (11)

Recorder: M. Karls (SCLS)

SCLS Staff Present: A. Gannaway, H. Oliversen, V. Teal Lovely, M. Van Pelt

 

1.      Call to Order at 10:04 am

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors/new cluster representatives 

                                                              i.      N. Snortum from DCL is replacing T. Herold on the ILS Committee.  The Cluster representatives’ orientation will take place near the end of the meeting.

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      Changes: None

                                                             ii.      Additions: V. Teal Lovely added “Database set-up” under Discussion.

c.       Requests to address the Committee

                                                              i.      None

 

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: December 5, 2018

a.      Changes or corrections: A. Gannaway reported a typo in the minutes.  Under Section 3, c, iv, 1; BKAPJ should be changed to BDAPJ.

b.      Motion: B. Faherty moved approval of the minutes from the December 5, 2018 meeting as amended.  H. Cox seconded.

c.       Vote: motion carried.

 

3.      Action Items

a.      Approve 2019 Calendar 

                                                              i.      Motion: A. Noel moved approval of the 2019 Calendar.  M. Navarre Saaf seconded.

                                                             ii.      Discussion: There were a few questions about the calendar leftover from the December 2018 meeting.  The LSTA grant funds won’t be awarded to library systems in the same way as prior years.  The grants are moving toward systems collaborating on projects.  The SCLS Evaluation will be left as a placeholder on the 2019 Calendar.  If we haven’t migrated to Bibliovation by fall 2019, the Committee may want to revisit the ILS Evaluation discussion.

                                                           iii.      Vote: motion carried.

b.      The Circulation Services Subcommittee recommends including all these additional problem item statuses to the Annual Batch Deletion process; Claims Returned, AV Repair, Defect Reported, Mending and Parts Missing, so that all items with problem statuses are included in the cleanup process.

                                                              i.      Motion: This recommendation came from the Circulation Services Subcommittee. 

                                                             ii.      Discussion: M. Navarre Saaf reviewed the motion and discussion at the CSS Meeting.  The group encouraged using PR to let libraries know about this workflow and provide instructions for libraries who want to do clean-up or prevent their records from being purged.  CSS will initiate the discussion about clean-up in May with libraries and would plan to have items purged in July.   

                                                           iii.      Vote: motion carried.

4.      Reports

a.      Issuing Rules Work Group Report

                                                              i.      Discussion: The work group has met once and they came up with some parameters.  They will meet again to discuss this further. 

b.      Self-Check Evaluation Work Group Report

                                                              i.      Discussion: H. Oliversen and M. Navarre Saaf obtained a lot of information at ALA from EnvisionWare and TechLogic regarding their self-check products.  H. Oliversen will compile the information from ALA and create a comparison spreadsheet.  We hope to have these vendors (and possibly others) come in to do a demo.  This would be similar to what was done for the ILS investigation.  M. Navarre Saaf would also like to talk to other EnvisionWare and TechLogic customers to get their feedback on products and customer service.      

c.       Follow-up to Library Scripts review

                                                              i.      Discussion: Madison’s scripts have been reviewed and Madison is sharing them with member libraries. SCLS is working with Middleton to review their scripts.

d.      ILS Report

                                                              i.      Discussion: V. Teal Lovely reviewed the February 2019 ILS Report.

e.      Report from the Circulation Services Subcommittee – January 8, 2019

                                                              i.      Discussion: M. Navarre Saaf reviewed the minutes from the January meeting.

f.        Report from the Collection Maintenance Subcommittee – January 9, 2019

                                                              i.      Discussion: A. Gannaway reviewed the minutes from the January meeting.

g.      Report from the Discovery Interface Subcommittee – January 16, 2019

                                                              i.      Discussion: A. Gannaway reviewed the minutes from the January meeting.

5.      Items from clusters for initial discussion

a.      A. Noel reported that the IC Meeting dates were not appearing on the public calendar on the SCLS Web site.  The reservation needed to be made public.  This is now fixed and the meetings are displaying on the public calendar.

 

6.      Discussion

a.      Database set-up

                                                              i.      Discussion: We continue to have situations where libraries order databases directly from vendors and don’t inform SCLS beforehand.  This causes SCLS staff to scramble to get these databases up and running properly on our network.   SCLS cannot always turn these requests around quickly.  Sometimes it involves SIP or other authentication and multiple SCLS staff need to be involved.  We need to create a policy and set expectations for libraries regarding these types of requests.  SCLS will come up with a recommendation for this policy and bring it to the group for review.  The WiLS process needs to be worked out as well.  WiLS is dependent on libraries letting them know when they are adding and dropping subscriptions and if libraries fail to do this, SCLS is notified too late to complete setup by the library’s desired go live.  There may be an old process that we could look at and revise. This will also be a topic at the March All Directors meeting. 

b.      Cluster Representative Orientation 

                                                              i.      Discussion: M. Van Pelt passed around handouts and reviewed the responsibilities and procedures for cluster representatives.    

 

7.      Plan for Next meeting:  April 3, 2019

a.      Discussion: Cataloging Contract

b.      Discussion: Review service priorities for May All Directors

c.       Discussion: Preliminary 2020 ILS budget proposal 

 

8.      Adjournment at 11:42 am.

 

For more information about the ILS Committee, contact Vicki Teal Lovely.

 

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.

 

ILS Committee/Minutes/02-2019