ILS Committee Minutes
August 7, 2019, 10 am
The IC recommended approval of SCLS to charge 5% of the Envisionware purchase price of hardware and software annually for a SCLS support fee and to start the fee in year one.
The IC recommended sunsetting the Self-Check Evaluation Work Group.
The IC recommended the creation of a separate PR work group for the Bibliovation migration.
Present: Erin Foley, ACL (1), Cathy Borck, WID (2), Larry Oathout, PCPL (4), Emily Judd, SKC (5), Eric Norton, MCM (6), Heidi Cox, MCF (7), Brendan Faherty, MID (8), Tracey Herold, DCL (9, 10), Margie Navarre Saaf, Susan Lee, Molly Warren, MAD (11 -13)
Excused: Angela Noel, BRD (3)
Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)
SCLS staff present: Amy Gannaway, Heidi Oliversen, Vicki Teal Lovely
1. Call to order time 10:06 am
a. Introduction of guests/visitors
b. Changes/Additions to the Agenda
i. Changes: none.
ii. Additions: none.
c. Requests to address the Committee
2. Approval of previous meeting minutes: 06-05-2019
a. Changes or corrections: none.
b. Motion: M. Navarre Saaf moved approval of the June 5, 2019, IC Minutes. B. Faherty seconded.
c. Vote: motion carried.
3. Action items
a. The Cost Formula Work Group recommends the following:
i. Approve SCLS to charge 5% of the Envisionware purchase price annually for a SCLS support fee and to start the fee in year one
1. Motion: M. Navarre Saaf amended the recommendation to approve SCLS to charge 5% of the Envisionware purchase price of hardware and software annually for an SCLS support fee and to start the fee in one year. H. Cox seconded.
2. Discussion: This action item came from the Cost Formula Work Group meeting in June. Bibliotheca charges maintenance and gives SCLS 17% of that maintenance have an agreement with them to do first tier support. This support is mostly handled by Cindy Weber. The SCLS support fee is charged starting with the second year. Bibliotheca also gives SCLS 5% of any new equipment purchased to offset the first year of support that SCLS provides. The money collected is put into contingency for future development and new service start-up costs. We work with libraries to make sure their equipment list with Bibliotheca is accurate every year. The Cost Formula Work Group recommends offering something similar for Envisionware to keep it equitable as we have a fraction of libraries using RFID and self-check. We don’t know if Envisionware will be less, more, or the same amount of work. There is still a lot of work that has to go into the configurations. Envisionware has other consortia doing first-tier support as well. Everyone will have access to their own support portal and can create tickets, but SCLS will also have access and can create tickets and monitor tickets. Envisionware is offering SCLS libraries a reduced rate for annual maintenance and historically, their annual maintenance does not increase. Envisionware has agreed to the concept of SCLS acting as first tier support and for SCLS to charge 5% of purchase price for annual maintenance. MAD has looked at prices for Envisionware and it’s less expensive than what they were for Bibliotheca start-up. MCF has found the same thing. Total maintenance costs for Envisionware would be 15% per year. The first year would need to be prorated, so libraries aren’t paying twice. The details still need to be worked out. L. Outhout asked for clarification on what the maintenance is on and V. Teal Lovely confirmed that it is for “hardware and software” (motion was amended to reflect this). This is not a policy, but it is a fee and it can be revisited in the future. Libraries not using this would not be charged.
a. Issuing Rules Work Group Report
i. Discussion: No report. C Weber and M. Navarre Saaf will meet at the end of August.
b. Self-Check Evaluation Work Group Report
i. Discussion. This work group should be sunsetted.
ii. Motion: H. Cox moved to sunset the workgroup. M. Warren seconded.
iii. Vote: Vote: motion carried.
c. Follow-up to Library Scripts review
i. Discussion: C. Weber is still looking at the work slip note in GetIt. We are still working with MID on reviewing their scripts and will report back.
d. ILS Report
i. Discussion: A. Gannaway reviewed the ILS Report. There was a data refresh in the Bibliovation sandbox. We are moving forward with Authority control (Backstage). The problem with overlaying bibs in Koha has been fixed. A. Gannaway will send out an email to library staff today to let them know this problem has been fixed.
e. Circulation Services Subcommittee – July 9, 2019 Minutes
i. Discussion: M. Navarre Saaf reviewed the minutes from the July meeting.
f. Collection Maintenance Subcommittee – July 10, 2019 Minutes
i. Discussion: A. Gannaway reviewed the minutes from the July meeting.
g. Discovery Interface Subcommittee – July 17, 2019 Minutes
i. Discussion: A. Gannaway reviewed the minutes from the July meeting. When we migrate to Bibliovation, the LINKcat launcher script will be discontinued. (The launcher script uses the IP address of the library to determine which library-branded interface to display to the patron). When we migrate, the technology staff will set-up the LINKcat desktop shortcut to go to the appropriate library’s branded interface on patron PCs. At the All Directors meeting, A. Gannaway demonstrated the drop down where patrons can choose a library from the LINKcat home page. The branded interface will display the library logo and on the Bib Details page, that library’s items will display at the top of the list of items. Libraries can link to their library’s branded interface from their websites. The functionality for placing holds on Available items will be the same as it is now. If a patron accesses LINKcat in the library, they will be blocked from placing a hold on Available items. If a patron accesses LINKcat outside of their library, they are able to place holds on Available items. The pickup location still controls where holds go. SCLS will be working in the coming months to communicate about the changes to the launcher script, will be re-directing links from the existing launcher script, and will be providing instructions to library staff who manage their library websites.
5. Items from clusters
a. Discussion of overview fines charged to previous patron when item was not correctly checked in.
i. Discussion: H. Oliversen reviewed this topic. Currently in Koha, if somebody shelves something without checking it in, it will generate overdue fines for the previous patron. H. Oliversen did a quick survey of the CSS members and all of them said they didn’t want to charge the previous patron overdue fines. This will go to CSS for additional discussion. This doesn’t need to be brought back to the IC. We want the CSS to make these decisions.
b. 2020 grant ideas
i. Discussion: The way that LSTA grants are offered to library systems has changed, so we can no longer use them for system-only projects and thus we don’t need input from member libraries. This topic might get changed to new services and moved to earlier in the year on the IC calendar (February or April meeting). We will update the calendar and change it to “New services for upcoming years.”
c. Plan for fall ILS Users’ Summit
i. Discussion: Due to the Bibliovation migration, we will be skipping this year.
d. Conduct Koha development survey
i. Discussion: Due to the Bibliovation migration, we will be skipping this year.
e. Bibliovation Migration Plan
i. Discussion: V. Teal Lovely reviewed the migration plan. Currently, we are planning for a migration to Bibliovation sometime during the second half of December. We are hoping to do this around New Years because libraries are closed and it would make the year-end report process clean. However, LibLime has to make sure they will have enough staff available during that time. We are working with them to determine the best date. ILS staff created a timeline that assures will be ready by mid-December. We need ILS Committee cluster representatives to communicate with their cluster as we approach the migration. Communication is key to making this migration successful. We want to emphasize the importance of library staff attending training. We are proposing adding a September and November IC meeting. The September meeting would be to look at and approve the migration timeline. In November, we would review and approve the migration. We want to encourage subcommittee members to do testing and the subcommittees to “sign off” on the modules before it’s brought to IC for a final vote. V. Teal Lovely will create doodle polls to determine the dates of these meetings and can host online/virtual meetings for both dates. We want. V. Teal Lovely reviewed the tasks that we are asking of subcommittee members including the final testing, reviewing documentation created by ILS staff, and document changes in software (cross-walk). H. Oliversen and A. Gannaway will work on creating cross walks with the subcommittees (explaining changes from Koha to Bibliovation). There will be in-person training for circulation, cataloging and serial and webinars for the discovery layer for library staff. Tutorials will be created to help train patrons on using the new LINKcat. We are recommending creating a separate PR work group for the Bibliovation migration.
ii. Motion: B. Faherty moved to create a work group for PR that will include IC members, DIS members, and any other interested parties. B. Faherty. H. Cox seconded.
7. Plan for next meeting: October 2, 2019 at SCLS Headquarters.
Evaluate results of Koha Development Survey - on hold until after migration
b. Discussion: 2020 Technology Plan: ILS Section
Prep for ILS Evaluation - on hold until after migration d.
Prepare for fall ILS Users’ Summit - on hold until after migration
8. Adjournment: 11:08 am.
For more information about the ILS Committee, contact Vicki Teal Lovely.
SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.