ILS Committee Minutes

September 4, 2019, 10 am

SCLS Headquarters
Chester Room/Web

 

Action Items:

The IC recommends approving the Bibliovation Migration timeline as amended during the discussion today.

 

Present: Cathy Borck, WID (2), Eddie Glade, PCPL (4), Emily Judd, SKC (5), Eric Norton, MCM (6), Heidi Cox, MCF (7), Brendan Faherty, MID (8), Nate Snortum, DCL (9, 10), Margie Navarre Saaf, Susan Lee, Molly Warren, MAD (11 -13)

Absent: Angela Noel, BRD (3)

Excused: Erin Foley, ACL (1)

Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)

SCLS staff present: Amy Gannaway, Heidi Oliversen, Vicki Teal Lovely, Corey Baumann, Martha Van Pelt

 

1.      Call to order time at 10:04 am

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors

                                                              i.      Corey Baumann from SCLS is attending as a guest today. 

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      Changes: none.

                                                             ii.      Additions: V. Teal Lovely added Offline Circulation under Discussion.

c.       Requests to address the Committee

                                                              i.      None.

 

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: August 7, 2019

a.      Changes or corrections: none.

b.      Approved by motion:  M. Navarre Saaf moved approval of the August 7, 2019 minutes.  N. Snortum seconded.

c.       Vote: motion carried.

 

3.      Action items

a.      Approve the Bibliovation Migration timeline

                                                              i.      Motion: M. Warren moved to approve the Bibliovation Migration timeline as amended during the discussion today.  E. Norton seconded.

                                                             ii.      Discussion: V. Teal Lovely reviewed the revised Bibliovation Migration timeline linked on the meeting page.  We’d like to focus on communication to library staff for the Bibliovation migration.  Phase 1 of final development has been completed.  We received the new update from LibLime with our bug fixes yesterday and it is being tested by ILS staff and then it will be tested by library staff. Phase 2 of final development is due in mid-October and there will be a second push for testing.  Subcommittee members will be working on documentation and creating or reviewing crosswalks (explaining differences between Koha and Bibliovation) for specific tasks.  Circulation crosswalks will be created and reviewed by CSS members.  Cataloging and Serials crosswalks will be created by ILS Staff and reviewed by CMS members.  DIS will be creating and reviewing the crosswalks for the PAC, along with some additional responsibilities.  We are recruiting people from DIS to join the PR work group.  We have two people from MAD, Rose Ziech and Mark Ibach that have volunteered to be a part of the PR Work Group.  DIS members will also review scripts for staff webinars, tutorials for patrons, review LINKcat help pages, and review bookmarks for content.  All of the Subcommittees will be signing off on the final development for the IC in November.  This will be added to the timeline.  The IC will then sign off at its December meeting.  We would like Bibliovation to be static from November 1 until the migration.  The Bibliovation training has been scheduled and registration is open.  We are following the “train to trainer” concept, so libraries should select which staff will attend training and train others at the library. STP mentioned the calendar close dates were missing from this timeline, so that will be added.  Is there anything else missing? After some discussion, the dates were modified to say the migration will start on December 6 after 9 pm when libraries are closed.  ILS staff should be able to start testing on December 9 if things go as planned.  December 10 will still be a close day in the system so items are not due and holds will not expire, but the plan is for libraries to go live on December 10.  Libraries can use offline circulation while they are down (evening of 12/6/19 – 12/9/19).  C. Baumann asked about the impact on delivery.  Libraries will not be able to checkin returned items.  There will be a lot of activity for delivery for the first few days when libraries begin checkin and filling holds requests (December 10 – 12).  Libraries can checkout browse items to patrons and checkout holds on the holds shelf to patrons if they can verify their identity.  Steps to mitigate the backlog will be discussed and clarified at the CSS Meeting next week.  CSS and the Delivery Committee should discuss this at their upcoming meetings.  The next CSS meeting is on September 10 and H. Oliversen will send information to C. Baumann for the October Delivery meeting.  V. Teal Lovely will add a note about this to the timeline page.  C. Baumann mentioned that there should be clear delineation of items that should be picked up by delivery drivers during the downtime.  We will review the subcommittees work at the October ILS Meeting.  M. Navarre Saaf asked if we would add the link to the training page on the timeline.  Yes, we will add this to the timeline.  The group suggested adding a note to the timeline that during “12/7/2019-12/10/2019 We will follow the plan for special delivery procedures during downtime.”  We can make the Bibliovation Migration timeline a web page and add links to other information, so this can serve as the one place to find all the information about the upcoming migration.  SCLS staff will also add the finalized timeline as an item for Top 5.  We will not have a cataloging moratorium. Libraries can continue to checkout, checkin, add items, and checkin serials, etc. until the system goes down.  We will add a note that all ILS functions will be available until 9 pm on 12/6/2019.  GetIt library contacts have been emailed and told they can do their annual rollover by December 6 if they want to.  This information will be added to the timeline.  The group suggested that we add a note that updating library close dates will prevent holds from expiring, overdue fines from accruing, and extend due dates for patrons.  We will add a note about Talking Tech and LINKcat also being down in addition to Koha.  V. Teal Lovely will make these changes to the Bibliovation Migration timeline.                          

                                                           iii.      Vote: motion carried. 

4.      Items from clusters

5.      Discussion items

a.      On-site help for go live date

                                                              i.      Discussion: For the Koha migration, SCLS staff visited libraries during the first few days after the migration in case there were issues.  SCLS staff served as liaisons to find help or report problems.  Some libraries didn’t feel the need for having SCLS staff on-site.  Libraries can go back to their clusters and get input on which libraries may want an SCLS staff member to visit them during the migration.  Could libraries sign up for this?  What other support will be available?  Library staff can call the Help Desk or fill out the Help Desk portal for help.  SCLS will discuss this internally with new directors in mind.  Will there be SCLS staff available on that weekend (December 7 and 8) for offline circulation support?  SCLS will discuss this internally and plan to have someone available.  SCLS staff will also discuss staggering checkin and uploading online circulation files.  We will provide libraries with a schedule of when they can complete these tasks to avoid overloading the system.

b.      Offline Circulation

                                                              i.      Discussion: Offline Circulation is now an extension to Firefox and is no longer a desktop application.  For go live, this extension will be in Firefox.  We plan to make this extension available in Chrome in the future.  We could have individual staff install the extension on their own or SCLS could push this extension out in a batch process.  If we do a batch process, all staff PCs would have offline circulation.  The committee didn’t see this as a problem and wants SCLS staff to push the extension out to all staff PCs.  The Tech Team will need to meet and create a roll-out plan.  H. Cox mentioned that during migrations it’s very difficult for staff to have no access to the catalog to help direct patrons to what they are looking for in the library.  Is there a way for the sandbox to be updated so staff could have access to this information during the downtime?  SCLS staff will ask LibLime about this.

 

6.      Plan for the next meeting: October 2, 2019, at SCLS Headquarters

a.      Discussion: 2020 Technology Plan: ILS Section

 

7.      Adjournment: 11:10 am.

For more information about the ILS Committee, contact Vicki Teal Lovely.

 

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.

 

ILS Committee/Minutes/09-2019