ILS Committee Minutes

February 5, 2020, 10 am

SCLS Headquarters
Chester Room

 

Action Items:

The IC approved the 2020 ILS Committee calendar.

 

Present: Erin Foley, ACL (1), Cathy Borck, WID (2), Suzann Holland, MRO (3), Eddie Glade, PCPL (4), Emily Judd, SKC (5), Eric Norton, MCM (6), Heidi Cox, MCF (7), Phil Hansen, FCH (8), Nate Snortum, DCL (9, 10), Margie Navarre Saaf, Susan Lee, Molly Warren, MAD (11 -13)

Absent: None

Excused: None

Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)

SCLS staff present: Vicki Teal Lovely, Amy Gannaway, Heidi Oliversen, Martha Van Pelt

 

1.      Call to Order at 10:02 am.

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors

                                                              i.      Heidi Oliversen from SCLS and Carol Kaufman from SUN are attending this meeting as guests.

b.      Introduce new cluster reps

                                                              i.      Suzann Holland from MRO and Phil Hansen from FCH are new to the IC.†

c.       Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      Discussion Items a-c should be moved to the plan for next meeting section of the agenda.† V. Teal Lovely added prioritizing low and medium fixes for Bibliovation bugs under Discussion.† ††

d.      Requests to address the Committee

                                                              i.      None.

 

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: December 2, 2019

a.      Motion H. Cox moved approval of the December 2, 2019 meeting minutes. S. Lee seconded.

b.      Discussion: none.

c.       Vote: motion carried.

 

3.      Action Items

a.      Approve 2020 ILS Committee calendar

                                                              i.      Motion: M. Navarre Saaf moved approval of the ILS Committee 2020 calendar.† H. Cox seconded.

                                                             ii.      Discussion:† V. Teal Lovely reviewed the IC calendar for 2020.†

                                                           iii.      Vote: motion carried.

 

4.      Reports

a.      ILS Report

                                                              i.      Discussion: V. Teal Lovely reviewed the ILS Report, which includes an update on where we are with bug fixes.† We did not anticipate the high volume of bugs post go live, however, many were fixed and put into production fairly quickly (about 50).† The last update to Bibliovation occurred on January 22.† There are 10 critical bugs and 10 high priority bugs listed on the ILS News page that V. Teal Lovely reviewed with the group.† LibLime has provided fixes for many of these problems.† However, a new showstopper bug was identified in the sandbox, so we cannot push out these fixes to production until this is fixed.† We are still waiting on a fix for the Reduced Transportation Holds and hope it will be fixed soon.† ††††††

b.      Circulation Services Subcommittee:

                                                              i.      Discussion: M. Navarre Saaf reviewed the minutes from the January 14, 2020 meeting. †The CSS will be meeting monthly for the time being so they can continue to be updated on progress and help with testing.†

c.       Collection Maintenance Subcommittee:

                                                              i.      Discussion: A. Gannaway reviewed the minutes from the January 8, 2020 meeting.

d.      Discovery Interface Subcommittee:

                                                              i.      Discussion: A. Gannaway reviewed the minutes from the January 15, 2020 meeting.†

 

5.      Items from clusters for initial discussion

a.      Questions from Cluster 8: P. Hansen reported that MID has asked for an update on the status of the holds sequence, reduced transportation holds, truncated barcodes, daily checkin statistics, receipts customization, and the mobile app.† Reduced Transportation Holds works sometimes, but not all the time. It will be a focus in the next round of fixes. The truncated barcode problem and the checkin statistics issue have been reported to Liblime, but we donít have a fix yet. H. Oliversen will report on receipts customization later in the agenda.† There were fixes last week to the mobile app and weíve been doing internal testing.† The problem with patrons reporting error messages when accessing the app should be fixed.† The mobile app problems have been hard to test (patrons have different phones/devices, etc.).† We have been encouraging people to try use LINKcat in their mobile browser.† It resizes better than it used to and people have given positive feedback about it.† It was already planned this year to do an evaluation of mobile apps with the probable intention of replacing our current app.† DIS will be looking at the options for mobile apps.†

b.      M. Van Pelt reported that SCLS staff are aware that LINKcat is not working with ADA screen readers. †R. Ziech is working with a Madison patron who is an expert in the field to address specific issues and has already fixed a number of things. Some things will need to be fixed by LibLime. Specific problems with this should be reported through the Help Desk portal.† Overdrive (Libby) also has some issues.

 

6.      Discussion

a.      Apply permissions to copy and modify Receipt templates to which staff logins: staff or admin?

                                                              i.      Discussion: ILS Staff decided to assign the ability to modify receipt templates to the admin logins (same as in Koha). However, there is a problem. For patron receipts, when a patron checks out, the receipt template used is the patronís home library and not the checkout library.† This has been reported to LibLime.† Until this is fixed, we wonít be using locally modified templates in production.† Every library will have the basic hold and checkout receipt templates for now.

 

Lucas Schneider at Madison has written a script that forces the holds receipt popup to close (fixing another problem in Bibliovation). It has been tested and thereís been a lot of positive feedback. This will be applied to all holds receipt templates.

b.      Prioritizing low and medium fixes for Bibliovation bugs.

                                                              i.      Discussion: We have the ability to put the Bibliovation known problems in a voting database.† However, it would be time consuming and we donít think this would be a good use of staff time right now.† We plan to go back to using the voting database in the future.† An alternative idea is to distribute module specific issues to the three different subcommittees and have the members do some vetting.† They could then bring their priorities for fixes to the IC for further discussion/approval.† There was discussion about how to get input from everyone. Ideas were to conduct a survey, discussing the issues at cluster/county meetings, and sending an email asking libraries to submit their top 5 issues. Dane County directors expressed at their last meeting they wish more fixes were focused on what affects patrons directly.† This is a factor that is taken into consideration by ILS Staff when prioritizing fixes. The group decided on the following process: ILS staff will provide a list of low and medium priority items to the CSS, CMS, and DIS to go through their module specific items and come up with 15 circulation, 3 cataloging, 2 serials, 5 acquisitions, and 5 discovery layer items.† This list of 30 will then be sent to the IC email list on 3/19/20 so cluster reps can get feedback from their clusters† Each cluster rep will bring their clusterís top 5 items to the April 1 ILS meeting for discussion.† ††

 

  1. Annual Cluster Representative Training & Refresher:
    1. †M. Van Pelt reviewed the cluster representative job description and meeting protocols.†

8.      Plan for Next meeting:† April 1, 2020

a.      Discussion: Cataloging Contract

b.      Discussion: Review service priorities for May All Directors

c.       Discussion: Preliminary 2021 ILS budget proposal

 

9.      Adjournment at 11:40 am

 

For more information about the ILS Committee, contact Vicki Teal Lovely.

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.

 

ILS Committee/Minutes/02-2020