ILS Committee Minutes

August 4, 2021, 10 am

SCLS Headquarters or via phone/videoconference



Action Items:

The IC approved adding the Collection Codes BAEJ, BKJFIBE, BKYFIGNMG, and PAAFICL.

The IC approved adding the Shelving Locations ADPA, CR, and YADIS.

The IC approved adding the Patron Categories MFC-Half Year Paid, MFD-Pay Per Item, and MFD-Year Paid (subscriptions).


Present: Erin Foley, ACL (1), Debbie Bird, POR (2), Suzann Holland, MRO (3), Eddie Glade, PCPL (4), Lauren White (PDS), Eric Norton, MCM (6), Heidi Cox, MCF (7), Phil Hansen FCH (8), Nate Snortum, DCL (9, 10), Margie Navarre Saaf, Molly Warren, Susan Lee, MAD (11 -13)

Absent: None

Excused: None

Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)

SCLS Staff Present: Vicki Teal Lovely, Heidi Oliversen, Amy Gannaway, Martha Van Pelt


1.      Call to Order at 10:06 am

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors

                                                              i.      None.

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      None.

c.       Requests to address the Committee

                                                              i.      None.


2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: June 2, 2021

a.      Motion: M. Warren moved to approve the June meeting minutes.  D. Bird seconded.

b.      Discussion: none.

c.       Vote: motion carried.


3.      Action Items

a.      The Collection Maintenance Subcommittee recommends adding the following codes:

                                                              i.      New Collection Codes; BAEJ (Staff: BOOK/AUDIO-ENABLED JU; Patron: Audio-Enabled Books), BKJFIBR (Staff: BOOKS JU FIC BEGINNER ; Patron: Beginner Readers), BKYFIGNMG (Staff: BOOKS YA FIC GRAPHIC NOVELS MANGA ; Patron: Graphic Novels, Manga), and PAAFICL (Staff: PAPERBACKS AD FIC CLASSICS ; Patron: Classics Paperbacks).

                                                             ii.      New Shelving Locations; ADPA (Adult, Paperbacks), CR (Children’s Resource Collection), YADIS (Young Adult Display).

1.      Discussion: A. Gannaway reviewed the minutes from the CMS minutes and the new codes requested by MFD.  There was concern for statistics and “code creep” because “beginner readers” covers the same types of materials as “early readers.”  L. White asked if there is some kind of guidance given to libraries with regard to which codes to use when.  M. Warren suggested that BKJFIBR might be too similar to codes that MAD uses for browse collections and that be confusing (BR as the ending). 

2.      Vote on motion from CMS to add Collection Codes: The IC amended the original motion from the CMS to change “BKJFIBR” to “BKJFIBE.”  Vote: amendment carried.  

3.      Vote on motion from CMS to add Shelving Locations: motion carried.

b.      In order to satisfy contractual requirements that Marshfield Public Library has with Marathon County Libraries, the Circulation Services Subcommittee makes the following recommendation:

                                                              i.      Add these three Patron Categories to Bibliovation: MFD-Half Year Paid (subscription); MFD-Pay Per Item; and MFD-Year Paid (subscription).

1.      Discussion: The CSS didn’t meet in July, but scheduled a meeting for August 10 instead.  H. Oliversen initiated a request to add 3 new patron categories that MFD needs to fulfill their contract with Marathon County.  CSS members voted via email and unanimously approved this motion.  There was some discussion. Committee members had questions about these patron categories.  What would be the procedure if a patron with this category came to check out at library other than Marshfield?  If a patron wants to renew their subscription for Marshfield at another library, should they direct them back to Marshfield?  If the patron is blocked because they haven’t paid their Marshfield subscription must they block checkout at their library?  These patron categories are specific to MFD and there are no internal Bibliovation settings that would block patrons from checking out at another library (except patron record expiration date).  Marshfeild will provide their workflow documentation for this process in case other LINKcat library staff have questions. This will be monitored after Marshfield migrates to assure that there are not effects on circulation at non-Marshfield libraries.

2.      Motion: This motion came from the CSS. 

3.      Vote: motion carried.


4.      Reports

a.      ILS Report

                                                              i.      V. Teal Lovely reviewed the August ILS Report.

b.      Circulation Services Subcommittee

                                                              i.      The CSS will meet on August 10, 2021.

c.       Collection Maintenance Subcommittee

                                                              i.      A. Gannaway reviewed the minutes from the July meeting.

d.      Discovery Interface Subcommittee

                                                              i.      A. Gannaway reviewed the minutes from the July meeting.

e.      Multi-part DVDs Packaging Workgroup

                                                              i.      The next meeting is scheduled for September 30 and they will be reviewing the survey that went out to libraries.

f.        Delivery Workflow Workgroup

                                                              i.      V. Teal Lovely reviewed the approved charge and mentioned the brain storming session held on July 22.  The next meeting is scheduled for August 26, 2021. 


5.      Items from clusters for initial discussion

a.      D. Bird (Cluster 2) reported that A. LeClair (LDI) asked if there has been any thought given to switching to a more reliable ILS, such as Polaris.  He is interested in hearing the potential costs and benefits of switching.  V. Teal Lovely reviewed the extensive ILS Evaluation that we conducted in 2017/2018 (documents  We currently have a marketplace analysis discussion scheduled for every August meeting, but haven’t planned yet to do another evaluation as it’s very time consuming.  In our last evaluation, web based software was the biggest factor that led us to stay with Bibliovation over moving to Sirsi/Dynix or Polaris.  Until other solutions have a fully web based solution, it would be difficult to switch.  Prior to the evaluation, we did a vote every year and libraries voted consistently to stay with Koha/Bibliovation.  The decision to evaluate other software in the future would come from this committee.  There have been no conferences because of COVID-19 and this was a major way to get information about other software in the past.  It takes a year to a year and a half to do an evaluation so we have to fit it in with everything else.  This can be fit into the annual market-place analysis process (August meeting) and the proposed request for new service process.  


6.      Discussion

a.      Plan for fall ILS Users’ Summit?

                                                              i.      Do we want to plan a fall ILS Users’ Summit?  We have brought in vendors in the past (i.e. WiLS for linked data).  We could talk about Bibliovation.  No one had suggestions or see the need for a summit this year. We will talk about it again next summer. 

b.      Conduct Bibliovation development survey?

                                                              i.      V. Teal Lovely reviewed what we have done this in the past and it included bug fixes.  Do we want to start doing this again (post MFD migration)?  Should we survey this and have libraries vote?  E. Norton suggested that we should wait until after the 7.0 upgrade.  It will have a lot of fixes to review it.  The group was OK with waiting and they can discuss this at the October and December meetings. 

c.       Review Technology Committee Process to Request a New Technology Service (

                                                              i.      V. Teal Lovely reviewed the process for new ILS services.  E. Norton said it makes sense to adopt this since we have a similar policy for new requests for the Technology Team.  V. Teal Lovely will revise the wording and present it at the October meeting for final approval. 

d.      Review marketplace reports for ILS software and peripheral software (committee members will report on new features and services found in the marketplace)

                                                              i.      A discussion was held about what is new in the ILS marketplace:

1.      Curbside pickup is a component of Solus.  Is this a priority for multiple libraries?  Capira costs $500/year, but Solus is free.  Could we demo it?  MCF is still doing curbside and expects the demand to increase with winter and flu season approaching.  Can we see how much work would be involved?

2.      MCF is interested in digital sign management which Solus advertises, but they wonder if that create complications with the app.

3.      A Solus pilot project through the Discovery Layer with touch screens was suggested.

4.      MCF, MAD, STP and FCH are looking in to lockers.  REE purchased some, but they are not through Envisionware so we cannot support them (other than setting up SIP).

5.      H. Cox asked if we had considered investigating competitors of Syndetics for digital content for the Discovery Layer, such as EBSCO.  We looked at it a few years ago, but we could review this. 

6.      Envisionware tablet station was mentioned but that may be a request for Technology because it may involve a SIP connection.

7.      We could ask big ILS vendors (Polaris and Syrsi/Dynix) how far away they are from a fully web hosted solution. Otherwise, there is no point to review them.   We can look at this but we would want them to prove it because they have claimed to be close in the past, and through in depth demonstrations, that proved to not be the case.  We can also look at other features they may offer.

8.      Database authentication products review was mentioned.  We will review the list and prioritize it at the October meeting to see what we want to do in 2022.  As far as SCLS knows, there are no new libraries joining LINKcat in 2022, so we hope to have more time to spend on this.   

e.      Follow up on Bibliovation bug fixes and development discussion from 6-2-2021 meeting

                                                              i.      This was covered in the ILS report.


7.      Plan for Next meeting: October 6, 2021 at SCLS Headquarters or via phone/videoconference

a.      Discussion: Evaluate results of Bibliovation Development Survey – do we want to do a survey?

b.      Discussion: 2022 Technology Plan: ILS section – Prioritize today’s list, 2022 Tech plan

c.       Action item: Approve process for Requests for New Services

d.      Discussion: Prepare for fall ILS Users’ Summit

8.      Adjournment at 11:47 am


For more information about the ILS Committee, contact Vicki Teal Lovely.

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.


ILS Committee/Minutes/08-2021