ILS Committee Minutes

August 3, 2022, 10 am

SCLS Headquarters or

Phone/video conference

Action Items:

The IC approved creating Item Type DVDSET14 with a loan period of 14 days, hold policy of any hold, and limit of 2 renewals for Multi-part DVD TV series sets.

The IC approved the recommended changes to the Videorecordings Searching and Matching Policy Multi-part items section.

The IC approved creating two new codes: Collection Code: LPJ (LARGE PRINT JU ; Large Print) and Shelving Location: LOC (Local Collection).


Present: Erin Foley, ACL (1), Debbie Bird, POR (2), Suzann Holland, MRO (3), Eddie Glade, PCPL (4), Lauren White (5), Heidi Cox, MCF (7), Phil Hansen, FCH (8), Nate Snortum, DCL (9, 10), Margie Navarre Saaf, Molly Warren, Susan Lee, MAD (11 -13)

Absent: None

Excused: Eric Norton, MCM (6)

Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)

SCLS Staff Present: Vicki Teal Lovely, Heidi Oliversen, Amy Gannaway, Martha Van Pelt


1.      Call to Order at 10:01 am

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors

                                                              i.      Heidi Cox (MCF) is a proxy today for Cluster 7.

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      None.

c.       Requests to address the Committee

                                                              i.      None.


2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: June 1, 2022

a.      Motion: L. White moved approval of the June meeting minutes.  P. Hansen seconded.

b.      Discussion: none.

c.       Vote: motion carried.  (H. Cox abstained.)


3.      Action Items

a.      The CSS recommends creating Item Type DVDSET14 with a loan period of 14 days, hold policy of any hold, and limit of 2 renewals for Multi-part DVD TV series sets.

                                                              i.      Motion:  This recommendation came from the Circulation Services Subcommittee.

                                                             ii.      Discussion: H. Oliversen reviewed the DVDSET14  Item Type proposal from the Circulation Services Subcommittee.  

                                                           iii.      Vote: motion carried.

b.      The CMS recommends changes to the Videorecordings Searching and Matching Policy Multi-part items section:

                                                              i.      Replace “Television fiction mini-series: Separate” and “Television series: Separate” with “Television fiction mini-series and series: Together”

                                                             ii.      Add “series” to “Non-fiction instructional, mini-series and documentaries”

1.      Motion: This recommendation came from the Collection Maintenance Subcommittee.

2.      Discussion:  A. Gannaway reviewed the language changes based on the upcoming change for TV series (Multi-part DVDs fiction TV series and mini-series will now circulate as a set starting September 1).   

3.      Vote: motion carried. 

c.       The CMS recommends creating two new codes:

                                                              i.      Collection Code: LPJ (LARGE PRINT JU ; Large Print)

                                                             ii.      Shelving Location: LOC (Local Collection)

1.      Motion: This recommendation came from the Collection Maintenance Subcommittee.

2.      Discussion: A. Gannaway reviewed the new cod request.  A library is developing a collection for Large Print Juvenile.  Shelving Location request for Local Collection (materials in different formats by local authors). 

3.      Vote: motion carried.


4.      Reports

a.      ILS Report

                                                              i.      V. Teal Lovely reviewed the June and July ILS Reports.  Bibliovation Upgrade – fall is a possibility. 

b.      Circulation Services Subcommittee

                                                              i.      M. Navarre Saaf reviewed the June 28 meeting minutes.

c.       Collection Maintenance Subcommittee

                                                              i.      A. Gannaway reviewed the July 13 meeting minutes.

d.      Discovery Interface Subcommittee

                                                              i.      A. Gannaway reviewed the July 20 meeting minutes.

e.      Multi-part DVDs Packaging Work Group

                                                              i.      V. Teal Lovely reviewed the July 19 meeting minutes and discussed what happened at the August 2 meeting (notes coming soon).  A. Gannaway sent a survey out and a summary of the results are posted on the Multi-part DVDs workgroup web page.  The majority of libraries want to circulate their new set on a new record as a set, whether there were existing records that match or not.  We also asked about repackaging and a fair amount of libraries are interested in this.  After September 1, we will have all fiction TV series and mini-series to be added as a set and circulated together.  MAD Catalogers will create a google spreadsheet of “new set records” and libraries can choose to repackage their materials and circulate their existing materials as a set and link to the new record.  The new bib records will include “all discs” in the title field and “full set” in the edition statement to distinguish them in the catalog.

f.        Local Holds Work Group

                                                              i.      V. Teal Lovely reviewed the June 30 meeting minutes.  The Local Holds pilot soft start was on June 27 and the official start was July 1.  There are issues with libraries with branches and we are working with PCPL on this (MAD is not part of the pilot project).  The group thought that items with only one copy should allow any patron to place a hold.  We talked about current workarounds and moving forward to fix the problem with development.  BER patrons have noticed more new items on the shelf and are pleased.  We are going to create a survey to get feedback from other public library systems (similar to what we did with multi-part DVDs).  We also want to survey our libraries to see if they are using 14 day or 28 day loan Item Types for new materials.  A. Gannaway reported we discovered some libraries were adding the local hold item type at the point of order (through GetIt and creating BSEs). It may take a long time to get an order (over the 60 days parameter for Local Holds).  We are now asking libraries not to apply the Local Hold Item Type until the item is in hand. 

g.      Delivery Workflows Work Group – on hiatus


5.      Items from clusters for initial discussion

a.      None.


6.      Requests for New Service

a.      None.


7.      Discussion

a.      Plan for fall ILS Users’ Summit—October 18 at Sun Prairie

                                                              i.      Discussion: The ILS Users’ Summit will be open to any library staff who want to attend.  We will offer a hybrid option, but we encourage those who can to attend in person.  We will be hosting a Self-check/RFID Users Group.  We will discuss and get feedback on the support Process with Envisionware and view the sorter at SUN.  We may also host a Reports User Group if we have enough time.  The Marketplace evaluation report will be presented and discussed.  WE will also review the Development plan.  Please submit any additional suggested topics for the ILS Users’ Summit to Vicki Teal Lovely. 

b.      Bibliovation Development Plan

                                                              i.      Discussion: We are doing quite a bit of development this year.   V. Teal Lovely reviewed the document she shared with the group.  (MK shared with the group for discussion.)

c.       Library Funding of Development Projects

                                                              i.      Discussion:  $5,000 is going into development in 2023, but the contingency funds are not growing. We should reserve $250,000 for a future ILS migration. In 2022 we have about $90,000 allocated to slated development.  MFD is partially sponsoring a development project for a browse call number index. Would we want to open this up for other libraries to contribute? H. Cox is concerned that this will not happen and then no development will get done and so we need to build development into the budget since in general R&D was included in our support fees with other ILS vendors, but now it is not (Note: LibLime does do quite a bit of development]. V. Teal Lovely pointed out that it was the original intent to pay for development after we moved to Koha and we had $45,000 budgeted, which was the savings in annual maintenance fees. That amount has slowly declined in an effort to keep costs lower and we have drawn done the ILS contingency. H. Oliversen also pointed out that we used to partner with other LibLime customers on development. We will move forward with pursuing all three revenue streams. We will cover this at the ILS User Summit and talk about funding, etc. 

d.      Review marketplace reports for ILS software and peripheral software (committee members will report on new features and services found in the marketplace)

                                                              i.      ILS Marketplace Evaluation

1.      Discussion: H. Oliversen, A. Gannaway, H. Cox, V. Teal Lovely and M. Navarre Saaf have done some market research at PLA and ALA.  At this time, we would be normally be reviewing new requests that came from March All Directors but we did not receive any.  The budget is set so we can’t spend new money but we can explore things.  M. Navarre Saaf presented the marketplace review.  They focused on patron proxy borrowing and new services.  Polaris Leap is now available for all modules.  Circulation and holds functionality looks good and is now web based.  Proxy borrowing has some features that we do not have.  We discussed RTH with them—they have it, but they don’t have day threshold setting. They said it could be added.  The main take away was the fact they are still using the administrative feature Active Directory, which could be extensive work for Technology team.  SirsiDynix Symphony web has also completed switching to web based.  The functionality is the same as in the Workflow client.  They can work with Active Directory but they don’t require it.  Basic functionality is there.  For RTH, they also don’t have threshold (they did not say it was easy to add).  The main takeaway is they do not have a history of patron notifications in an accessible form.  Patron edit/block history is only available as a report.   TLC – Library Solutions is fully web based, but geared more toward small libraries.  Carl Solution is designed for larger libraries but is not web based and it would take several years to complete that.  SCLS staff have tried Community Koha (Bywater demo site) and the takeaway is that it is missing many consortia features and is not a viable option.  The group recommends that at this point we don’t move forward with an in depth investigation because there is not a compelling enough reason at this time.  Moving forward, SCLS will continue to meet with vendors and review marketplace, 3rd party products. 

                                                             ii.      OCLC Update

1.      Discussion: We talked to OCLC staff at ALA. They are working on partnership with Google where the Google search will try to guide people to a library.  When people are further away from Madison it doesn’t work as well.  It thinks the library is in Madison because that is where SCLS’s office is.  We did a free holdings reset with OCLC and have now found out we could alleviate the problems by doing local holdings on OCLC.  We will negotiate another reset with them.  SCLS staff will need to figure out the process to get them the data and updating the data.  This will be a longer term project for 2023.  It is similar to the linked data concept that we explored a few years ago.  A second possibility is that we are able to get bib records from the local digitization project (through Content DM/Recollection Wisconsin) and put them into LINKcat.  Is it OK to add this to 2023 project plan?  Yes.   

8.      Plan for Next meeting: October 5, 2022 at SCLS Headquarters or via phone/video conference

a.      Discussion: 2023 Technology Plan: ILS section

b.      Discussion: Prepare for fall ILS Users’ Summit

c.       Action Item: Local Holds decision – we will decide on whether or not it’s going to be a weighted library vote at All Directors or cluster rep votes at December IC meeting.  Please ask your clusters before this meeting.

9.      Adjournment at 11:16 am


For more information about the ILS Committee, contact Vicki Teal Lovely.

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.


ILS Committee/Minutes/08-2022