SCLS ILS Committee Minutes

March 7, 2018 10 a.m.

10:00 a.m.

Action Items:

Approved Recommendation from ILS Evaluation Lead Group

Approved the Collection Maintenance Subcommittee recommendation that the following Collection Codes be created:

                                                              i.      VGA (VIDEO GAMES AD)

                                                            ii.      VGJ (VIDEO GAMES JU)

                                                          iii.      VGY (VIDEO GAMES YA)

Approved the Circulation Services Subcommittee recommendation that we accept the receipt paper form as an option for the (full-sheet or half-sheet) Problem Items form.

Approved the Circulation Services Subcommittee recommendation that the Music CD Barcode Placement policy be updated to read “top right hand corner (of case or insert)”.

 

Present: E. Foley, ACL, A. Noel, BRD (3); E. Glade, PCPL (4); E. Judd, SKC (5); E. Norton, MCM (6); S. Lee, M. Warren, MAD (11, 13); M. Navarre Saaf, MAD (12); B. Faherty, MID (8), T. Herold, DCL (9, 10), H. Cox, MCF (7)

Absent: C. Borck, WID (2)

SCLS Staff Present: V. Teal Lovely, A. Gannaway, M. Van Pelt

(The number following each individual indicates the cluster they represent)

 

Call to Order:  V. Teal Lovely called the meeting to order at 10:04 a.m.

b.      Introduction of guests/visitors. None

c.       Changes/Additions to the Agenda. 3e is a duplicate.  Under discussion 4b add review the ILS committee page.

d.      Requests to address the Committee. None

 

Approval of previous meeting minutes:   E. Norton moved approval of the December 6, 2018 minutes.  B. Faherty seconded.  Motion carried.

 

Action Items

 

a.      Recommendation from ILS Evaluation Lead Group:  The evaluation lead group was comprised of SCLS member library staff as representatives from the cluster models. This group and members of the ILS Evaluation module groups, did a lot of work, attended demos, traveled, and put in hundreds of hours and they were thanked for their time and effort.  There is much information and documentation available on the ILS support page: ILS evaluation 2017-2018.  The overarching consensus of the ILS Evaluation lead group is that none of the three options that were investigated are fully developed, therefore, it would not be worth the cost of migration plus staff time. The lack of Reduced Transportation holds is another concern that was discussed.  It was suggested a webinar could be provided for training and slides created for the All Directors meeting to address any questions that may occur. It was also noted the Tech Team would have support difficulties with Polaris. If SCLS stays with LibLime the change will be less drastic, data migration would be seamless and stable, and SCLS has a very high ability to design the software to fit the needs of member library staff. Although there are some problems, SCLS has the potential to get them fixed. SCLS will take all the time necessary to test and vet the software. Staff is testing the current development that is available and they are making sure not to miss new development. The new software will be better than what we have now. Support from LibLime has been very and for a cloud hosted system. We will receive the discovery layer and the all new MARC cataloging module which were developed by other customers. The lead group suggested that something should be added to our contract to commit to a certain amount of development each year which will give us additional reassurance that they will work on our projects.

 

The ILS Committee reviewed the documents that will be presented at the All Directors’ meeting and determined the recommendation, which will be to accept the ILS Evaluation Lead Groups recommendation to continue with LibLime and migrate to Bibliovation, or reject the recommendation which means the ILS evaluation process will begin anew.  B. Faherty moved approval of the recommendation to be presented to at the All Directors meeting.  M. Warren seconded.  Motion carried.

If the recommendation is approved, then it was suggested that the contract with LibLime be amended to include language that they will commit to a certain amount of development and that the migration to Bibliovation will occur within an 18 month period.  A cost summary will be provided at the All Directors meeting as well as a time line.
 

 

b.      The Collection Maintenance Subcommittee recommends that the following Collection Codes be created:

                                                              i.      VGA (VIDEO GAMES AD)

                                                            ii.      VGJ (VIDEO GAMES JU)

                                                          iii.      VGY (VIDEO GAMES YA)

     The recommendation was approved.

c.       The Circulation Services Subcommittee recommends that we accept the receipt paper form as an option for the (full-sheet or half-sheet) Problem Items form.

The recommendation was approved.

d.      The Circulation Services Subcommittee recommends that the Music CD Barcode Placement policy be updated to read “top right hand corner (of case or insert)”.

            The recommendation was approved.

Discussion

a.      Review 2018 Calendar:  Only change is that we did not have a February meeting.

b.      ILS Committee page:  SCLS migrated to Drupal and the website looks quite a bit different.  V. Teal Lovely noted each meeting has its own page and within that page is the agenda, minutes and documents.  SCLS is moving away from linking items to the committee agendas.

 

Reports

a.      March ILS Report: You may view the report online.

b.      Report from the CSC Subcommittee – January 9, 2018

c.       Report from the CMC Subcommittee – January 10, 2018

d.      Report from the PAC Subcommittee – Did not meet.

 

Items from clusters:  Online problem item form: A version of the online problem item form was created by an MPL employee that allowed the barcode to be typed and the information automatically filled the form.  SCLS requested it was stopped because it needs to be vetted first to ensure it will not impose a security risk to LINKcat data. SCLS is ultimately responsible for protecting the data.  A process has been created and a draft copy was provided.  If someone has an idea, libraries are asked to give their best effort to do due diligence and are required to go through the vetting process. SCLS will put together a group of people to work on the policy and bring it back to the Committee for review.

 

Plan for Next meeting:  April 4, 2018

 

a.      Discussion: Cataloging Contract

b.      Discussion: Review service priorities for May All Directors

c.       Discussion: Preliminary 2019 ILS budget proposal

 

Annual Cluster Representative Training & Refresher:  M. Van Pelt will review the cluster representative job description and meeting protocols.

Meeting evaluation and summary

Adjournment:   12:00 p.m.

SCLS staff is available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.