Library Innovation Subcommittee Minutes

April 10, 2018 9:00 am

SCLS Headquarters

Present: Rose Ziech, SCLS; Jody Hoesly, SCLS; Jean Anderson, SCLS; Liz Zimdars, FCH; Leah Fritsche, DEE; Shawn Brommer, SCLS; Tamara Ramski, SCLS; Mark Ibach, SCLS; Jan Holmes, SUN; Jenna Assmus, RIO.


1.       Call to order at 9:01 a.m. by chair Rose Ziech.

a.       Introduction of guests/visitors: Introducing Tamara.

b.      Changes/additions to the agenda: None.

2.       Approval of previous meeting minutes: 2017-09-19

a.       Motion to approve – Mark, Leah seconded, motion approved.

3.       Discussion/Action items.

a.       Digital Content Workgroup held its last meeting 2018-02-14.

                                                               i.      Recommendation: Sunsetted or made inactive. The group can be reactivated with new members in the future. The group will have no further meetings scheduled until then.

                                                             ii.      Recommendation: That the Library Innovation Subcommittee form a user group for libraries to share info related to local history content digitization.

1.       SCLS staff propose Tamara Ramski be the future coordinator the workgroup and any user group activities.

                                                            iii.      Recommendation: Move email list members to a new list for digitization (“scls-digitization”?); eliminate the old email list “scls-ebookworkgroup.”

1.       Discussion on recommendations. Mark mentioned the Biblioboard project at WPLC. Tamara discussed possibilities for a user group.

2.       Motion to accept all the recommendations as is: Mark motioned to approve; Liz seconded motion. Motion passed.

b.      Feedback on Annual Report data dashboards.

                                                               i.      Jody gave background on the Madison Public Library dashboard project and meeting attendees participated in a prioritization activity to provide feedback.

1.       Collection turnover.

2.       SCLS Dashboards.

3.       WI Public Library Service Data.

c.       Ongoing theme for the next 2 years: Workforce development and lifelong learning. What needs/opportunities are there to innovate around these themes? Mark Jochem is coming back as our Workforce Development LTE on April 30. The group brainstormed possible tasks including:

                                                               i.      Creating a webpage for Workforce Development (comes first).

                                                             ii.      Working with libraries identifying partners in communities and bringing them together.

                                                            iii.      Train the trainer.

                                                           iv.      Master list of sites and what they require (email, account, etc.) to be able to offer something when staff isn’t available to spend the time necessary for the patron.

                                                             v.      Resource list for computer training (GFC Learn, Digital Learn).

                                                           vi.      Shawn mentioned planning session structure and maybe doing something like that for library staff, one sheet (printed and PDF online) – top seven organizations with contact information with bullet point list for what they offer, organized by type of service rather than organization (food insecurity, transportation, health, dental, skills training, mental health, aging, education, job searching, etc.). It may need to be regional for United Way 411, Joining Forces for Families (?), eligibility and referrals, ADRC, homelessness, legal, WSLL and Dane County Legal Resources. Also include WIOA – preparing the teens for the workforce.

                                                          vii.      Deerfield and RIO volunteered to be pilot projects working with Mark to refine the webpage and service list.

d.      FYI: Grant opportunities.

                                                               i.      Penguin Random House Library Awards for Innovation (applications due April 15).

                                                             ii.      WiLS Ideas to Action Fund (applications due May 14).

e.      Group logistics: membership and meeting times. Proposal to meet Feb, Apr, Jun, Aug, Oct, Dec & hold on 2nd Tuesdays of the month.

                                                               i.      Leah – likes the informality of these meetings but doesn’t want to lose the discussion.

                                                             ii.      Would be nice to have more representation.

                                                            iii.      Sell it as an idea generating group, results, and action of the committee.

                                                           iv.      County meetings – keep eyes and ears open for ideas, asking for new participation (at All Directors, too), representatives from library staff doesn’t have to be director.

f.        Communication with other libraries to gather suggestions.

                                                               i.      Reminder: Feedback form (at top of all Top 5 emails).

                                                             ii.      Email list for sharing links and ideas in addition to meetings.


4.       Next meeting at SCLS Headquarters – June 12, 2018 at 9:00 a.m.

a.       Meeting adjourned at 10:38 a.m.