Library Innovation Subcommittee Notes

October 9, 2018, 9:00 a.m.

SCLS Headquarters

Chester Room

 

Present: Angela Noel, BRD; Leah Fritsche, DEE, Jan Holmes, SUN.

Recorder: Jean Anderson.

SCLS staff present: Rose Ziech, Shawn Brommer, Mark Jochem, Tamara Ramski, Jean Anderson, Mark Ibach.

 

1.      Call to order: 9:02 a.m.

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors.

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda: None.

c.       Requests to address the Committee: None.

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: August 14, 2018.

a.      Changes or corrections: None.

b.      Approved by motion; Leah Fritsche moved, Mark Ibach seconded, motion approved.

 

3.      Action items.

a.      Welcome new members and nominate additional new members.

b.      Generate list of project ideas for 2019 SCLS Foundation funds (estimated $5,000-$6,000).

                                                              i.      Digitization kits – include the set-up fee for Recollection Wisconsin and hard drives for participating libraries. An idea to carry forward as needed. $500 per library.

                                                             ii.      Slide scanner for digitization projects. They are around $1,000.

                                                           iii.      Replace equipment lost in the flood at LAV.

1.      WI Humanities Council is offering some funding help to libraries who lost materials and equipment in the flood.

                                                           iv.      Mental Health First Aid from Journey and other organizations.

1.      Action item: Jean will find out more information from Journey about cost, time, etc. and other options from other organizations.

a.      https://www.mentalhealthfirstaid.org/

2.      Action item: Shawn will create a survey for library staff asking about needs for training for serving patrons with mental illness and addiction.

                                                             v.      Translation services for library materials (discussed at a previous meeting).

                                                           vi.      Circulating maker type kits – for example coding, gaming, etc. that circulations to the patrons (Milton has loanable maker kits). Similar to backpack kits that Deerfield created for an initial Beyond the Page grant.

                                                         vii.      Escape room supplies – locks, command hooks, etc. VER created some kits for about $275 (could ask questions about supplies, etc.).

                                                       viii.      Digital camera kit – we do have several cameras already for loan.

1.      Teaching kit (“tips for taking better pictures”)? Software?

 

4.      Reports: None.

 

5.      Items from clusters: None.

 

6.      Discussion items.

a.      Follow-up to dealing with substance abuse in libraries.

b.      Adding childcare resources to Workforce Development Resources list.

                                                              i.      They’ve been added to the Resources for Job Seekers web page under the heading “Services and Supports.”

                                                             ii.      https://www.scls.info/resources-job-seekers#Everyday%20Life%20Resources

c.       The Public film screenings.

                                                              i.      Svetha at SUN talked to the theater in Sun Prairie about the options. If the movie does show at the theater, we can host a showing for a fundraiser. If the movie doesn’t show there, then there’s a fee for the movie and for the room reservation. There are lots of options and they are flexible.

d.      Shawn, Mark J., and Shauna from SUN are working on the Inclusive Services Institute tool that will be released later this year. This tool may be of interest to this group.

 

7.      Plan for next meeting: NEW DATE – December 18, 2018 at SCLS Headquarters, Chester Room

a.      Report on Library Event Marketing & Photography workshop, scheduled for Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 9:00-1:00 PM.

b.      Survey – needs assessment for library staff asking about needs for training for serving patrons with mental illness and addiction.

 

8.      Adjournment: Mark Ibach moved, meeting adjourned at 10:07 a.m.

For more information about the Library Innovation Subcommittee, contact Rose Ziech.

 

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.

Library Innovation Subcommittee/Minutes/10-2018