Library Innovation Subcommittee Notes

February 19, 2019, 9:00a.m.

SCLS Headquarters

Chester Room

 

Action Items: None

 

Present: Kris Houtler (Ree), Angela Noel (BRD), Leah Fritsche (DEE), Liz Zimdars (FCH), Jenna Assmus (RIO). 

Present via GoToMeeting: Chris Baker (POR), Lori Belongia (MFD), Renee Daley (ROM), Nicole Ozanich (STP), Nathan Rybarczyk (BAR).

Absent: Brian Kopetsky (MCM), Terrance Newell (MEA), Jessica Williams (MTH)

Excused: Jody Hoesly (SCLS), Jan Holmes (SUN), Mark Jochem (SCLS), Mark Ibach (SCLS)

Recorder: Tamara Ramski

SCLS staff present: Jean Anderson, Rose Ziech, Shawn Brommer, Tamara Ramski

 

1.      Call to order time: 9:00 a.m.

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda: None

c.       Requests to address the Committee: None

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: December 18, 2018

a.      Changes or corrections: None

b.      Approved by motion: Angela Noel moved, Leah Fritsche seconded, motion approved.

3.      Action items: None

4.      Discussion items:

a.      IMLS School Library, Community Memory, and Digital Inclusion Grants – Report on webinar (Shawn).

                                            i.      Shawn reported on a webinar about the grants. The decision was made not to pursue the grants at this time. This was based on the timing of the grant deadlines and the IMLS grant guidelines.   

                                          ii.      Leah-Local resources can be used/sought out that meet our own communities’ needs, versus having to meet IMLS guidelines.

                                        iii.      Tamara-Some of the services that the grant would provide for are already being offered.

                                        iv.      Leah and Shawn-Like the ideas that came out of the conversation about the grants. Those ideas can be used to identify future projects.

                                          v.      More thought and research will be done and feedback from membership will be sought about Community Memory related projects. Shawn and Tamara will meet to discuss this.

                                        vi.      Jenna-Recommended doing a survey to out to find what interest there is.

b.      Substance Abuse Concerns Survey responses (Shawn).

                                            i.      Shawn reported on the results of a survey that was sent out in February. The survey was created by Shawn, Leah, Angela, and Lori. There were 21 respondents.

1.      Resending the survey was recommended.

a.      Angela recommended encouraging all staff (not just directors) complete the survey.

b.      Nicole asked if multiple people at a single library can complete the survey. (Yes)

c.       The survey will be resent to the All Directors and SCLS-Announce lists. All library staff members (not just directors) will be encouraged to complete the survey. Multiple people at a single library can complete the survey.

2.      Discussion:

a.      Need to get feedback from library staff who have been trained on Narcan. Kris-REE had Narcan training provided by Sauk County.

b.      Jenna-is talking with the police chief about providing programs/training.

c.       Jenna-suggested group viewings of movies/documentaries

d.      There is a need for lists of local resources/contacts/training providers to address the survey topics.

3.      Survey topics will be addressed in 2019 continuing education programming and Mark J. will include them with Workforce Development plans.

                                          ii.      Shawn and Jean are planning a day-long continuing education program for the fall (dates are not set yet).

1.      Part of the day will include a presentation by a public health officer from Dane County on substance abuse/Narcan. (Narcan training will not be offered system wide, but local training resources will be provided for counties.)

2.      Part of the day will focus on mental health and community groups/county agencies that can partner with libraries. Dr. David Mays (from UW) may be included.

3.      Discussion:

a.      Jean-Mental Health First Aid class (by Journey Mental Health)-offers group training (for a fee). Min. number of participants is 12.

b.      Lori-AODA might provide training/programs

c.       Jean-mentioned Sara from Dane County Public Health and Skye from Safe Communities

d.      Need to provide connections to local agencies/county agencies.

e.      Invite community partners to the event. Important to have contacts ready for when the need comes up.

f.        Programs can be for all library staff and could be used for a library in-service.

g.      Nicole: Ryan Dowd videos are enlightening about these issues.

h.      Mark I and Shawn will be looking at funding/grants for providing programs.

                                                                                                                                      i.      Angela- Would like to see the Foundation approached about helping fund training programs. 

i.        ROM is partnering with the Adams County Sheriff’s Department’s “Drugs Hidden in Plain Sight” series.

j.        Liz-SCLS has so many counties, it would be nice if a list of local resources/training opportunities can be provided.

k.      Kris-Could training on dementia be included with the day-long program?

l.        Chris-POR is experiencing teens/younger populations with substance abuse problems and parents who are not helping with the problems.

m.    Rose-training day will be filled with heavy topics, recommended it will be encouraging to end the day with hope.

5.      Reports (for Committees only): None

6.      Items from clusters (for Committees only): None

7.      Plan for next meeting: April 9, 2019 at SCLS Headquarters, Chester Room

a.      Continue discussion about Community Memory types of projects. (Shawn/Tamara).

b.      Substance Abuse Concerns Survey-responses (Shawn).

c.       Social services support resource list (Shawn)

8.      Adjournment:  Kris Houtler moved, Angela Noel seconded, meeting adjourned at 10:00 a.m.

For more information about the Library Innovation Subcommittee, contact Rose Ziech.

 

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.

Library Innovation Subcommittee/Minutes/2019-02-19