Library Innovation Subcommittee Notes/Minutes

April 9, 2019, 9:00 A.M.

SCLS Headquarters

Chester Room

 

Action Items: Provide suggestions for a statewide work group: What kind of info would be useful in a marketing plan template? (Mark I)

Present: Jenna Assmus (RIO), Chris Baker (POR), Leah Fritsche (DEE), Jan Holmes (SUN), Dr. Terrance Newell (MAD), Nathan Rybarczyk (BAR), Liz Zimdars (FCH)

Via GoToMeeting: Lori Belongia (MFD), Renee Daley (ROM), Nicole Ozanich (STP)

Absent: Kris Houtler (REE), Brian Kopetsky (MCM), Angela Noel (BRD), Jessica Williams (MTH)

Recorder: Tamara Ramski

SCLS staff present: Jean Anderson, Shawn Brommer, Jody Hoesly, Mark Ibach, Mark Jochem, Rose Ziech

 

1.      Call to order time: 9:00 A.M.

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors: None

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda: None

c.       Requests to address the Committee: None

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: February 19, 2019

a.      Changes or corrections: Approved

b.      Approved by motion: Leah Fritsche moved, Chris Baker seconded, motion approved

3.      Action items

a.      Item 1: Provide suggestions for a statewide work group. What kind of info would be useful in a marketing plan template? (Mark I)

                                                              i.      Motion: N/A

                                                             ii.      Discussion: Mark I is a member of a statewide work group who are collaborating to create a library marketing plan template.

1.      Kathy Dempsey presented a program about developing marketing plans at the Wild Wisconsin Web Conference. Mark I. recommends watching it.

2.      Leah-Does not have a formal marketing plan. She would like to know about the basics of how and why to build a marketing plan. It could be useful for their building expansion and communicating with the Village Board.

3.      Jenna-They are good at marketing programs. Tips on marketing broader services would be useful.

4.      Chis-It would be useful to have marketing information to share with their Friends Group.

5.      Shawn-Marketing plans could be applicable to strategic planning.

6.      Terrance-Madison Public Library has services and resources for marketing in place. Suggested using marketing that gives a holistic view of the libraryís role in the community. This can be done using impact stories and examples.

7.      Liz-Recommended including specific success stories as examples in marketing materials.

8.      Ideas, feedback, and examples of marketing plans/products can be provided to Mark I.

9.      The goal is to start rolling out the template next fall.

                                                           iii.      Vote: N/A

4.      Discussion items

a.      Follow up from March All Directors Meeting re: substance abuse survey, community memory. (Shawn)

                                                              i.      Substance Abuse Survey

1.      Shawn thanked everyone who helped with the survey.

2.      Shawn shared the results of the survey (including visualizations created by Jody). There were 110 responses from library staff.

3.      Shawn, Mark J., and Jean will be providing resources and programs addressing the concerns and issues identified in the survey.

a.      Libraries can connect with local agencies to provide Narcan training and support. SCLS will not be setting up/providing the training.

b.      Workshop, May 22, 2019: Why Inclusivity & Diversity Matter for Your Library (at Fitchburg Public Library-half day). Presenter: Deborah Biddle.

c.       Substance Abuse and Mental Health Symposium, September 24, 2019 (at Winter Green-full day). Presenters: Skye (Safer Communities) and Sarah (Dane County Public Health).

d.      Mark J. created a list of web-based resources and agencies. (See Discussion Item b.)

e.      Shawn-attended a conference on the opioid crisis in Wisconsin. (A list of resources that were provided at the conference will be provided separately).

                                                             ii.      Community Memory

1.      Shawn reviewed feedback she gathered at the March All Directors meeting about services that SCLS can provide to support Community Memory types of projects.

a.      There is interest in digitizing local history materials held by community members and in providing programing around local history topics.

b.      A pilot project will be developed to offer libraries guidance on digitizing materials of local historical/topical importance held by community members. The materials will be digitized for Recollection Wisconsin following standard SCLS digitization project workflows.

c.       Jean, Shawn, and Tamara will work together on programs based on local history topics, digitized collections, and folklore.

b.      Social services support resource list. (Mark J)

                                                              i.      Mark J. created an Opioid Web Resources list. It is on the SCLS website-Member Resources & Services-Outreach Resources-Opioid Web Resources

c.       Libraries Activating Workforce Development Skills (LAWDS) grant follow up. (Mark J)

                                                              i.      The Department of Public Instruction (DPI), System and Resource Library Administratorís Association (SRLAAW), and the Department of Workforce Development are offering a statewide grant to provide employment training, services, and resources. The grant has a three year timeline.

                                                             ii.      Libraries will provide resources but will not be experts or providers of Workforce Development services.

                                                           iii.      Mark J. is sending out a survey related to the grant. It will be sent to SCLS-Announce. A draft of the survey was reviewed.

5.      Reports (for Committees only): None

6.      Items from clusters (for Committees only): None

7.      Plan for next meeting: June 11, 2019 at SCLS Headquarters, Chester Room

8.      Adjournment: †Jenna Assmus moved, Jan Holmes and Lori Belongia seconded, meeting adjourned at 10:03 A. M.

For more information about the Library Innovation Subcommittee, contact Rose Ziech.

 

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.

Library Innovation Subcommittee/Minutes/2019-04-09