Library Innovation Subcommittee Minutes

June 11, 2019 9:00 a.m.

SCLS Headquarters

Chester Room & Online via Bluejeans

 

 

 

Present: Chris Baker, POR; Nathan Rybarczyk, BAR; Liz Zimdars, FCH; Alex LeClair, LDI; Leah Fritsche, DEE; Angela Noel, BRD; Kris Houtler, REE;  Nicole Ozanich, STP; Jan Holmes, SUN; Renee Daley, ROM; Lori Belongia, MFD.

Recorder: Jean Anderson

SCLS staff present: Jean Anderson, Rose Ziech, Mark Ibach, Shawn Brommer, Mark Jochem

 

1.      Call to order time 9:00 a.m.

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors – None.

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda – None.

c.       Requests to address the Committee – None.

 

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: April 9, 2019

a.      Changes or corrections: None.

b.      Approved by motion Chris Baker motioned, Nathan Rybarczyk seconded, approved.

 

3.      Action items: None.

4.      Reports (for Committees only): None.

 

5.      Items from clusters (for Committees only): None.

 

6.      Discussion items

a.      2020 Census Library Outreach (Mark J.) – The 2020 Census is starting next April. Is there interest in looking for ways to participate in 2020 Census Library Outreach? DPI made a press release last year on the topic. ALA produced a guide for libraries.

                                                              i.      Online option for the census this year which may present a barrier to some people.

1.      Basic instructions/FAQ.

2.      Information on how long to expect the form will take to complete so we know how long it will tie up computers.

3.      Additional computers available?

4.      Will be available in different languages?

                                                             ii.      Toolkit available – from ALA.

1.      Importance of census to get an accurate count for strategic planning and funding which impacts libraries.

2.      DPI – Adult & Community Services will be working with ALA to obtain materials and making FAQs, etc., available.

3.      Book available too? Jean will check.

                                                           iii.      Census representatives meeting with some libraries already.

1.      Use your meeting rooms for training census staff.

                                                           iv.      Action: Check with Tech Team to make sure there are no issues with census website. Put together a web page with direct link to census and instructions, a desktop short cut, etc. – something to make it easier for patrons to access the page. Publicity component, too. Information sheet for staff – quick reference sheet for use with patron.

b.      Problem Survey (Alex). “I often like to dream of grand, innovative ideas, but sometimes the most innovative ideas I have are responses to actual problems, so it would be interesting to think of what we would ask libraries and how we would ask libraries about the problems they're facing.  And then take that info as a possible guide for future planning.”

                                                              i.      Background: Suggestion form.

                                                             ii.      Background: 2014 Community Service Priorities Discussion notes.

                                                           iii.      Discussion:

1.      Conversations/discussion at All Directors or Adult Services meetings.

2.      Service to the public and in service to the staff.

3.      May be time to do a service priorities discussion/survey again (it’s been 5 years).

4.      Technology changes/updates.

5.      Next opening for All Directors would be the morning of the November All Directors – would feed then into the March All Directors and the start of the budget season

6.      Action: draft a survey before the August meeting- Shawn, Alex, Chris, Leah, Lori, and Mark volunteered. Goal to review and approve at August meeting.

c.       Community memory (Shawn) – update.

                                                              i.      Tamara has already started on the project with Rock Springs. Started digitizing materials held by the library that are about the Community Center and collecting memories about it. In early fall, they’ll start having programs for the public about the project. Encourage people to bring their own materials in to scan and potentially add to the shared collection. SCLS Foundation has approved funds to purchase an additional scanning kit to devote to this project. Rock Springs is a pilot project. Share additional ideas with Tamara. Note: Samantha Link is the new LTE assistant on this project and the MCLS digitization project.

d.      LAWDS grant (Mark J.) – training timeline change. Trainings will be July-October.

                                                              i.      Thanks for participating in the survey. Mark recently met with the North Central Workforce Development Board (Adams, Wood, Portage Counties). Trainings will be held August – October.

e.      Videoconference assessment – should we continue it for the next meeting?

                                                              i.      Will keep future meetings using BlueJeans.

f.        Information sharing – share a success, learning experience, or something that is challenging your library lately.

                                                              i.      Renee from ROM – website updated and it’s been wonderful because most of patrons are seniors and they can’t read the small print. The new website is larger print and now patrons can read it without any trouble.

                                                             ii.      Chris – attended the Games in Libraries conference at the end of May. Great conference! Games, Learning, and Literacy – board games and video games with some fantastic presentations. Mix of academic, public and other librarians.

 

7.      Plan for next meeting: August 13, 2019 SCLS Headquarters

a.      Review and approve service priority/problem survey.

b.      Check with Tech Team about census website or short cut addition to patron computers.

 

8.      Adjournment:  10:00 a.m. Lori Belongia moved to adjourn, Liz Zimdars seconded. Motion approved.

For more information about the Library Innovation Subcommittee Committee, contact Rose Ziech.

 

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.

Library Innovation Subcommittee/Minutes/06-2019