Library Innovation Subcommittee Minutes

October 15, 2019, 9:00a.m.

SCLS Headquarters

Chester Room

 

Present: Jan Holmes and Carol Kaufmann (SUN); Alex LeClair (LDI); Kris Houtler (REE); Leah Fritsche (DEE).

Present via BlueJeans: Renee Daley (ROM), Nicole Ozanich (STP), Chris Baker (POR), Lori Belongia (MFD), Nathan Rybarczyk (BAR).

Recorder: Shawn Brommer.

SCLS staff present: Rose Ziech, Mark Ibach, Jean Anderson, Jody Hoesly, Mark Jochem, Shawn Brommer, Sam Link.

 

1.      Call to order time: 9:00a.m.

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors: None.

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      Additions: Discuss need to reschedule December 11 meeting.

c.       Requests to address the Committee: None.

 

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: August 13, 2019

a.      Changes or corrections: None.

b.      Approved by motion: Motion: Jan Holmes – Second – Mark Ibach, motion passed by unanimous vote.

 

3.      Action items: None.

 

4.      Reports: 2018 Library Visit reports shared with SCLS Board of Trustees.

a.      2018 Annual visit reports were linked and shared with LIS members in today’s meeting materials.  2019 reports are currently being shared with SCLS board.

b.      Leah F commented that she read a cross section of different-sized libraries and that it was interesting to see everybody’s voice and learn that libraries of all sizes share similar concerns such as buildings, budgets, service.

c.       Mark I: as a staff, we can bring ideas and themes to the subcommittee for discussion or possible action.

d.      Discussion about the questions that SCLS staff ask during the annual visits:

                                                              i.      SCLS staff put a lot of thought into the questions that we ask. 

                                                             ii.      The subcommittee determined that SCLS staff will bring the 2020 questions to the February 2020 meeting for input.

1.      Let’s think about a specific type of question that helps the Library Innovation Subcommittee identify a theme or future project that SCLS staff can ask during the annual visits.

e.      Subcommittee wants to read the library visit reports.  Rose will add links to the meeting documents page.

 

5.      Items from clusters: None.

 

6.      Discussion items

a.      Follow up on 2020 Census Library Outreach:

                                                              i.       The subcommittee reviewed the Census materials that were shared in the meeting documents

1.      Census Outreach Materials

2.      Census 2020 - Complete Count (WI DPI)

3.      Census Outreach Toolkit

4.      Complete Count Committees in Wisconsin

5.      Libraries' Guide to Census 2020 (ALA)

6.      Census Tip Sheet + ideas (ALA)

                                                             ii.      We are still waiting for the official URL.

                                                           iii.      Census work will happen during tax season!

                                                           iv.      Census data is used for library funding and provides information for narrative about communities and maps.

                                                             v.      Census planners say that the census takes 10 minutes to complete online.

                                                           vi.      Emphasize that libraries are a safe and private place to take the census.

1.      Publications and flyers are available to distribute to patrons – can the Census bureau give us publications?

                                                         vii.      Can the URL be whitelisted for the catalog PCs? 

1.      Shortcut on the desktop PCS.

                                                       viii.      Filling out online Census forms will bring new patrons into the library.

                                                           ix.      The Census website design is attractive.

                                                             x.      Emphasize the Privacy and Security information (drop down menu) on the census website

                                                           xi.      Communicate to patrons that the Census does NOT ask for social security number

                                                         xii.      Actions:

1.      Confirm the official URL (Waiting for this)

2.      Take this to the technology committee – Catalog PCs (whitelist) and Shortcut on desktop PCs, patron laptops in libraries that are checked out to patron cards.

3.      Online update article

4.      Publicize and print out official publicity materials

a.      Mark Jochem will see if the Census bureau is able to provide printed publicity materials.

5.      Encourage libraries to share information on Social Media

a.      Check out filters to choose by format and type

6.      SCLS will create a temporary web resource to point libraries to the official resources.

7.      Look into in-person programs that can be held at public libraries.

b.      Suggestions from Library Innovation Subcommittee form: Library patrons submitted suggestion forms in August:

                                                              i.       2019-08-21 Suggestion to Library Innovation Subcommittee form

                                                             ii.       2019-08-21 Reply to Suggestion

                                                           iii.       2019-08-31 Suggestion to Library Innovation Subcommittee form

                                                           iv.       2019-08-31 Reply to Suggestion

                                                             v.      Should we link to the LIS Charge on the links on SCLS page? It is lengthy.

c.       Survey ideas applied to Library Innovation Subcommittee form draft –

                                                              i.      Will an Instant Message/chat (i.e., Slack) method work for sharing information?

1.      Is there an expectation that chat communication will be acted upon immediately?

2.      It’s much more casual.

3.      Can we ask libraries how they are using IM?

                                                             ii.      The purpose of asking these questions is to share ideas.

                                                           iii.      Focus on the purpose of the group that is created (i.e., a group to discuss adult programming).

                                                           iv.      Narrow down the focus of the survey and apply it to the idea submission form.

                                                             v.      Reminder of purpose: bring ideas to the LIS and we can help identify themes and address the issue.

                                                           vi.      Would an internal wiki work?

                                                         vii.      Does learning about the small victories work?

                                                      viii.      Actions:

1.      Blend the survey questions into the idea submission form including 3 different themes: (Mark & Shawn)

a.      Is this an idea?

b.      Is this a problem?

c.       Is this a victory?  (Innovations at your library that you want to share with the group.) 

2.      Consider: connect the 3 questions to the library visit questions.

3.      Change the description on the LIS page – be more descriptive of what the form is and send out more reminders.

4.      Follow up – consider ways that people going to use the idea submission form and the information it generates.

 

7.      Plan for next meeting: Rescheduled to February 18, 2020 at SCLS Headquarters. December meeting cancelled due to Bibliovation upgrade.  February agenda items:

a.      Mark J communicate info about census.

b.      Mark I and Shawn to present new Idea Submission form.

 

8.      Adjournment:  10:15a.m.

For more information about the Library Innovation Subcommittee, contact Rose Ziech.

 

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.

Library Innovation Subcommittee/Minutes/10-2019