Library Innovation Subcommittee Minutes

June 9, 2020, 9:00am

BlueJeans

 

Action Items:  Provide input on equipment for SCLS Foundation sponsored kits.

 

Present: Renee Daley (ROM), Leah Fritsche (DEE), Kris Houtler (REE), Carol Kaufman (SUN), Nicole Ozanich (STP), Jill Porter (MFD), Nathan Rybarczyk (BAR)

 

Recorder: Tamara Ramski

 

SCLS staff present: Jean Anderson, Shawn Brommer, Craig Ellefson, Jody Hoesly, Mark Ibach, Mark Jochem, Tamara Ramski, Rose Ziech

 

1.      Call to order time: 9:03 a.m.

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors:

                                                              i.      Jill Porter (MFD), new director of the Everett Roehl Marshfield Public Library. She is replacing Lori Belongia on this committee.

                                                             ii.      Craig Ellefson, representing the SCLS Technology Team.

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda: None

c.       Requests to address the Committee: None

 

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: April 4, 2020

a.      Changes or corrections: None.

b.      Approved by motion: Leah Fritsche, Mark Ibach moved and seconded.

 

3.      Action items

a.      Provide input on equipment for SCLS Foundation sponsored kits.

                                                              i.      The following financial distributions were approved.

1.      $1,678 for training by August Ball at the November 2020 All Directors Meeting

2.      $600 cap (not to exceed) for 1 cooking maker kit and 1 baking maker kit.

3.      $1,517.73 for SCLS Advantage materials.  Any money not spent on the 2 maker kits should be added to the amount for Advantage purchases.

                                                             ii.      Discussion:

1.      Suggestions for kit contents have been added to a Google sheet (see Links).

2.      Should the kits be for demonstration purposes or for participation/library programming purposes?

1.      It will be difficult to create programming kits with the $600 budget.

3.      Shawn-Having virtual cooking classes is a way to address programming needs during times when people cannot get together in groups.

4.      Carol-Recommends developing curriculums and that can be shared ahead of time so patrons can virtually participate with the demonstrations from home. It would meet educational outreach purposes.

5.      Kris-Let patrons know ahead of time what supplies/equipment they need so they can be prepared to participate remotely, or they can have the option to just watch. The demonstrations could be live and also recorded for later use.

6.      Kris-It would be great if kits can be available by the Fall for canning and preserving demonstrations.

7.      A cookie decorating kit will not be created at this time, but cookie decorating supplies may be included with the baking kit.

                                                           iii.      Vote: Unanimous: Create two demonstration kits-one for cooking and one for baking.  Motion carried to create two kits.

 

2.      Discussion items:

a.      Marketing/advocacy project ideas.

                                                              i.      Marketing/PR/social media sharing.

1.      Mark I.-The following ideas arose through the Service Priorities Survey and discussion.

2.      Can SCLS help with providing:

1.      Generic (system wide) images for marketing and social media?

2.      Standard marketing materials for certain events or times of the year (library card sign-up/banned books…).

3.      6’ Banners loaned to libraries for special events.

                                                                                                                                      i.      Nicole-They have personalized ones, but it would be helpful to have additional ones available for big events.

                                                                                                                                     ii.      Mark J.-They could have something like “Libraries are essential” or a tagline.

                                                                                                                                   iii.      Shawn-They would be useful for outreach events like county fairs and back to school events.

4.      System wide marketing and advocacy with radio, television, or local media.

                                                                                                                                      i.      SCLS’s geographic area is so large that it makes this difficult. Communities have their own media.

5.      Would there be interest in a Marketing Work Group to take on system wide general marketing projects?

                                                                                                                                      i.      Could create videos/PSA/editorials/radio ads.

                                                                                                                                     ii.      There was no response about this from the Committee.

3.      Discussion:

1.      Kris: Each library is so unique, during the last few months their library’s social media presence was their only presence. They carefully measured their announcements and what is shared to keep it meaningful (they didn’t want to create clutter and lose meaning in it).

2.      Renee-Social media is a challenge because many patrons do not have internet at home. Many do not have computers.

3.      Carol-SUN is working with a consultant. The biggest challenge is deciding who they need to reach and why and what they can offer that is meaningful to that group.

4.      Carol-Has SCLS looked at software such as Patron Point?

                                                                                                                                      i.      Mark I.- Will look into the possibility of Library Aware or Patron Point library marketing software being available with a system wide subscription. He will look into the costs.

                                                                                                                                     ii.      Jill-Has looked into Patron Point…wasn’t totally sold on it.

                                                                                                                                   iii.      Carol-It’s more email focused and based on patron records.

5.      Mark I.-Imagery, graphics, marketing materials don’t have to be a system wide type of thing. Deb is available to assist libraries’ individual needs. 

6.      Mark I.-These services can be re-addressed later and as the need comes up.

                                                             ii.      Other?

1.      Carol-Suggested a trade show booth kit, with table/banner/display boards.

b.      Maker kit ideas.

                                                              i.      Should any 2021 Foundation funds be used for new maker kits?

                                                             ii.      Suggestions from the 2020 Service Priorities Survey: Crafting, cooking, soap making, podcasting, book publishing, music kits (effects pedals), digital art (IPad/Apple Pen), and 3D printers.

                                                           iii.      Maker kits will be further discussed at future meeting(s).

 

3.      Reports (for Committees only): None

 

4.      Items from clusters (for Committees only): None

 

5.      Plan for next meeting: August 11, 2020

a.      Mark I. and Craig will work on creating order lists for supplies for one cooking kit and one baking kit. They will send out the list contents to the Committee for approval and once approved, the kits will be ordered (prior to the next meeting).

b.      Mark I. will report on Library Aware and/or Patron Point.

c.       Discuss maker kits that could be created using 2021 SCLS Foundation funds.

 

6.      Adjournment:  9:58 a. m. Mark Ibach, Jean Anderson moved and seconded

 

For more information about the Library Innovation Subcommittee Committee, contact Rose Ziech.

 

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.

Name of Committee/Document Name/Date (e.g. Library Innovations Subcommittee/Minutes/2020-06)