Library Innovation Subcommittee Agenda

August 11, 2020, 9:00am

BlueJeans

 

Action Items: None

 

Present: Renee Daley (ROM), Kris Houtler (REE), Carol Kaufman (SUN), Nicole Ozanich (STP), Nathan Rybarczyk (BAR), Jill Porter (MFD)

Recorder: Tamara Ramski

SCLS staff present: Jean Anderson, Shawn Brommer, Craig Ellefson, Mark Ibach, Mark Jochem, Martha Van Pelt, Rose Ziech

 

1.      Call to order time: 9:05 a.m.

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors: Martha Van Pelt

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      Mental health posters & business cards provided by DPI (Martha Van Pelt)

c.       Requests to address the Committee: None

 

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: June 9, 2020

a.      Mark Ibach,  Craig Ellefson moved and seconded.

b.      Approved

 

3.      Action items: None

 

4.      Reports (for Committees only): None

 

5.      Items from clusters (for Committees only): None

 

6.      Discussion items

 

a.      Cooking and baking kit progress

                                                              i.      The SCLS Foundation is providing $600 for kits. Shawn may have funding available to cover the cost of the bins for the kits.

                                                             ii.      There will be two kits: one for cooking and one for baking. The kits will circulate separately and are to be used for demonstration purposes.

                                                           iii.      Mark I., Craig, and Shawn created lists of materials for the kits and added them to a Google Spreadsheet.

1.      Each kit will have a bin, a tripod, surge protector, and possibly and iPad and lighting. (The iPads and lighting will be repurposed from existing kits).

2.      Cooking kit will have:

o   Induction burner cooktop

o   Pots/pans

o   Mixing bowls

o   Measuring cups/spoons

o   Wok

o   Frying Pan

o   Stock Pot

o   Sauce Pan

o   Spoons, Whisks, Spatulas, Slotted turner

3.      Baking kit will have:

o   Counter top convection oven.

o   Cake pan (round fit better in the over)

o   2-8” cookie sheets

o   2 six-cup muffin pans

o   Mixing bowls

o   Measuring cups spoons

o   Wire whisks/spoons/spatulas/turners

o   Silicon hot pads

o   Cooling racks

o   Cake and dessert decorating tool

                                                           iv.      Discussion

1.      Kris-wooden spoons are harder to clean and need to be completely dried before packing them up. Recommends silicon or let people know they may need to use their own utensils.

2.      Carol-What about Logitech webcams (instead of iPads)? Craig-If webcams are used then laptop would also be need to be provided.

3.      Nicole-Are the pans sized so that more than can fit on the cooktop at the same time? Mark I-Yes, this was taken into consideration.

4.      Carol-Muffin and cake pans come in silicone. Silicone might be easier to transport/store….but maybe harder to clean. Cleaning can be easier if used a cupcake or cake pan liner with them.

5.      Mark I-A concern is about the materials being cleaned well before being returned.

                                                             v.      The committee approved the list. Price comparisons on the materials will be done and then materials will be purchased.

                                                           vi.      Mark J.-It will be helpful to include programing outlines and ideas for libraries to use.

                                                         vii.      Shawn-Maybe a library can do a demonstration video of the kits.

1.      Renee-ROM is staring a recipe club and would be interested in doing a demonstration video.

2.      Svetha (at SUN) has done cooking demonstrations.

 

b.      Follow up on Library Aware and/or Patron Point

                                                              i.      Mark I. was given a quote by Library Aware of around $23,000. This would make the service available to every library in the system.

1.      Would everyone want/use it?

a.      McFarland currently uses. Mark I. will follow up with Heidi to see how useful it is.

b.      Portage Public Library was originally interested, Mark I. will follow up with them.

c.       Jean will check if Bridges Library System is using it and if they like it.

d.      Marty said system directors have talked about this, suggested checking with Ben Miller (DPI).

                                                             ii.      Rose-Would pricing be different going thru WiLS? Mark I.-Yes, would go through WiLS. 

 

c.       2021 Maker Kits

                                                              i.      SCLS Foundation Funds may be available for new maker kits.

1.      Shawn and Jean will ask for input from their Youth Services/Jean meetings.

2.      Mark I.-Are there kits that will be useful for virtual demonstrations. Many of the existing kits are for hands-on use, going forward kits may need to serve different purposes.

3.      Carol-Suggested a floral design kit with tools for creating bouquets, boutonnieres and corsages.

 

d.      Suggestion Form

                                                              i.      Mark I. and Shawn created a Google Form for library staff to submit ideas, problems, or victories.

1.      There is currently a link to a form in Top 5 and also on the SCLS Website (on the Contact page). The form is not working great in those areas.

a.      It is intended to be used by library staff, but patrons are able to access it.

b.      The committee approved putting the new form behind a password protected area of the SCLS website. Only library staff will have access to it.

2.      Mark I. and Shawn will finalize the wording on the form and will share the form with everyone on the subcommittee for review.

a.      Mark J.-Need to add a “contact for follow-up email” on the forms.

3.      LIS Committee members will have access to responses from the form.

a.      Will the committee members be notified of responses?

                                                                                                                                      i.      Committee member emails can be added to the form.

b.      Who responds or follows up to responses?

                                                                                                                                      i.      Mark I.-Some responses will need immediate response/feedback. Others could wait until the next meeting.

 

e.      Mental Health Posters/Cards (DPI) (moved up from item g.)

                                                              i.      DPI has created posters and business cards with mental health crisis hotline information. Is there interest in DPI providing these materials to SCLS member libraries?

1.      Carol-Yes, could files also be provided so the materials can be put online and shared over social media? (They are using fewer handouts.)

2.      Nicole-Yes, posters for windows and outside bathrooms would be nice.

3.      Nathan-Yes, posters and business cards will be great.

                                                             ii.      Mark I.- If the materials are provided in PDF format, SCLS can print them.

                                                           iii.      Martha will report to DPI that SCLS is interested in them.

           

f.        Census 2020 follow up – Wisconsin response rate (moved from item e.)

                                                              i.      70% of WI residents have responded.

                                                             ii.      Census deadline is September 30th (the deadline was recently changed).

                                                           iii.      There will be a count of people experiencing homelessness Sept 23-24.    

 

7.      Plan for next meeting: October 13, 2020.

a.      Cooking and baking kit progress:

                                                              i.      Price comparisons are being done and then materials will be purchased.

                                                             ii.      Programming ideas and kit demonstration video.

b.      Library Aware

                                                              i.      Is there interest/is it liked? (Report on responses from Heidi-McFarland/Portage Public/Bridges Library System/Ben Miller.)

                                                             ii.      WiLS pricing. 

c.       2021 Maker Kits

                                                              i.      Start list of suggestions:

1.      Ideas from Shawn (Youth Services Meetings) or Jean (Adult Services Meetings)

2.      Floral Design Kit

d.      Suggestion Form

                                                              i.      Review the finalized wording of the form.

                                                             ii.      Accessible from a password protected area of the SCLS website.

                                                           iii.      Protocols to respond to completed forms.

e.      Census follow-up.

 

8.      Adjournment: 10:01

a.      Craig Ellefson, Kris Houtler moved and seconded.

 

For more information about the Library Innovation Subcommittee, contact Rose Ziech.

 

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.

Library Innovation Subcommittee/Minutes/2020-08