Library Innovation Subcommittee Minutes

April 13, 2021, 9:00am



Present: Nicole Ozanich, STP; Renee Daley, ROM; Leah Fritsche, DEE; Alex Le Clair, LDI; Mehta Hess, MFD; Kris Houtler, REE; Melissa Roelli, MTH

Excused: Nathan Rybarczyk, BAR

Recorder: Tamara Ramski

SCLS staff present: Jean Anderson, Craig Ellefson, Mark Ibach, Mark Jochem, Tamara Ramski, Rose Ziech


1.      Call to order time:  9:02 am

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors: None

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda: None

c.       Requests to address the Committee: None


2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: February 9, 2021

a.      Changes or corrections: None

b.      Approved by motion: Mark Ibach, Leah seconded. Approved.


3.      Action items

a.      Item 1: Recommend ideas for using SCLS Foundation 2021 money: $4307.71.

                                                              i.      The Board will meet in April.

1.      Need to propose how the funds will be used at that meeting.

2.      Funds need to be used by the end of the year.

3.      Funds need to benefit (or provide something that is available) to ALL libraries.

a.      Mark I.: Marty would like to use ~$1000 for Cornerstone events (2 events, in separate locations).

b.      Mark I.: Presenter fees for workshops (for CE).  

c.       Craig/Tamara: Update the circulating scanning kit.

d.      Alex: Podcast kit.    

e.      Alex: PA system that circulates. (Example: for events in a park).

f.        Alex: Develop a digital channel for virtual programming (a streaming channel).

                                                                                                                                      i.      Why:

1.      It would be a way to reach audiences outside the library (building).

2.      It can cost less to hire virtual programmers (can they be located anywhere in the nation).

3.      It would be a way for libraries to collaborate (share costs/responsibilities).

4.      Would benefit smaller libraries that cannot afford to provide the services alone.

                                                                                                                                     ii.      What is involved:

1.      Costs: Speaker fees, equipment, Zoom licenses.

2.      Administration: Scheduling/contracts & billing/promotion/preparing (technology)/running the event.

                                                                                                                                   iii.      Who?

1.      Possibly hire an intern to coordinate it.

2.      Have staff from a single library in charge.

3.      Have multiple libraries share the responsibilities.

                                                                                                                                   iv.      Discussion:

1.      Alex: Ask Lindsey Ganz for examples of contracts/billing. She’s done it for the Columbia County libraries’ project.

2.      Mark J.: Could use funds for a pilot program and then possibly add it to budget in the future.

3.      Nicole: Is there an example of anything similar being done?

a.      Programming on LDI’s website includes

b.      Ann Arbor Public Library: Branded their virtual programming.

4.      Rose: Is all programming provided in a single (online) space afterward?

5.      Nicole: They shared putting on a virtual program with other libraries and it worked well.

6.      Jean: Pilot project is a good idea, but maybe do not use Foundation funds for it.

7.      Jean: Library staff (not SCLS staff) would need to be responsible for coordinating the services. 

g.      Melissa: Tents for outdoor programs that libraries can share.  (Leah likes the idea).

                                                                                                                                      i.      Size: 10 x 10 or 15 x 15 (maybe two of them).  Needs to be easy for staff to put up.

h.      Melissa: Cricut kit.

                                                                                                                                      i.       Mark I.: SCLS has Silhouette and Cameo.

                                                                                                                                     ii.      Craig recommends Cricut over Silhouette or Cameo.

                                                                                                                                   iii.      Cricut has monthly subscription fee ($9.99).

i.        Melissa: Outdoor movie kit (Screen/AM radio).


b.      Item 2: Respond to question about circulating kits and materials from local school—Refer to Documents.

                                                              i.      Renee:  A ROM library board member who works with the school district asked if the library could circulate some of the school’s kits.

1.       Kits are not getting used at the school. Could the library allow patrons to check them out?

2.      Questions/concerns:

a.      What if equipment is lost or damaged?

b.      Rose-Would the kits be owned by the school or the library?

c.       Would kits be stored at the library?

d.      Would the school be using the kits at the same time?

                                                                                                                                      i.      Would students have to wait because kit is out for general public use?

e.      Mark I.: How many kits are there and how big are they?

f.        Alex: If the kits are not being used by the school, will they get used by library patrons?

g.      Nicole: Need to look at each individual kit to determine which have value.

h.      Who maintains the kits?

i.        What happens at the end of a kit’s life-cycle?

3.      Determined that:

a.      Kits would have to be housed at library for library staff to have access to put them in delivery.

b.      If kits are in LINKcat, cannot put restrictions on who/when something is borrowed.

c.       If a kit is cataloged, the library would have to have ownership of it.

d.      Jean: There should be a MOU with the school & library if it is entered into the catalog.

e.      It is outside Delivery or SCLS’s scope to store and maintain the kits.  

4.      Renee: Likes the idea, but not is not sure it is feasible. Will follow-up with the board member.


c.       Item 3: Provide input about future of Wisconsin Libraries Transform website: Tabled.


2.      Reports (for Committees only)

a.      Idea form response—Refer to Documents.

                                                              i.      Rose: A Middleton patron requested a checkout history feature in LINKcat. Amy Gannaway followed up with a Middleton staff person.

b.      Webinar, “Library Social Workers -- Are You Ready for Any Circumstance?” April 28, 1:00pm.

                                                              i.      Jean: A third webinar will be planned about practicum students/interns from social work schools providing services in libraries.

c.       Outreach & Inclusive Services web page & web form for collecting feedback.

                                                              i.      Mark J: A webpage is now available on the SCLS website.

d.      2021 Library Visits questions.

                                                              i.      Questions have been approved.

                                                             ii.      Visits will likely be done virtually (possibly in-person).

                                                           iii.      Questions:

1.      How are you and your staff doing?

a.      What have you learned about yourself, your staff, and your community during the COVID-19 Pandemic?

b.      What lessons learned will guide you going forward?

2.      Are there service changes or new services arising from COVID that you may continue moving forward?

a.      Is there anything SCLS can do to help?

3.      What has your library done since our last visit that you’re excited about?

a.      Are there any memorable moments that stand out?

b.      Was there a program or service that your community responded to (positively or negatively)?

e.      Update from All Directors Meeting service priorities discussion.

                                                              i.      Mark I.: SCLS staff are following up on a few things. None of it had a budgetary impact.

3.      Discussion

a.      Goals for Library Innovation Subcommittee this year-Tabled.


4.      Items from clusters (for Committees only)

a.      Let Rose know if any items come up.


5.      Plan for next meeting: June 8, 2021

a.      Follow-up on ideas for Foundation funds.

                                                              i.      Cornerstone events, Presenter fees; Circulating scanning kit, Podcast kit, PA kit, Virtual programming channel, Tents, Cricut, Outdoor movie kit.

b.      Provide input about future of Wisconsin Libraries Transform website.

c.       Goals for Library Innovation Subcommittee this year.

d.      Library Aware.


6.      Adjournment:  9:59.  Mark Ibach, Mark Jochem; Approved.

For more information about the Library Innovation Subcommittee, contact Rose Ziech.


SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.

Library Innovation Subcommittee/Minutes/04-2021