Library Innovation Subcommittee Minutes

December 14, 2021, 9 a.m.

Via BlueJeans

 

 

Present: Alex LeClair , LDI; Kris Houtler, REE; Mehta Hess, MFD; Nathan Rybarczyk, BAR; Nicole Ozanich, STP, Renee Daley, ROM; Melissa Roelli, MTH; Leah Fritsche, DEE

Recorder: Jean Anderson

SCLS staff present: Rose Ziech, Mark Ibach, Mark Jochem, Tracie Miller, Shawn Brommer, Jean Anderson, Craig Ellefson, Jody Hoesly

 

1.      Call to order time 9:00 a.m.

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda: None

c.       Requests to address the Committee: None

 

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: October 12, 2021

a.      Changes or corrections: None

b.      Approved by motion: Mark Ibach, Nicole Ozanich.

 

3.      Action items

a.      Provide Jody with feedback on new data dashboards are these of value (worth maintaining?). Idea for these visualizations started with Jenna from Monona asking questions about their Spanish language collections. Second link is a combination of PSTAT and Collection Codes all in one.

                                                              i.      See Links on meeting page for dashboard links.

                                                             ii.      Feedback: How to find the dashboard more easily from the SCLS Data & Statistics page

                                                           iii.      Question: has this data influenced how the library is managing their collection? Not sure wed have to ask Jenna and Ryan about it. Looking at moving forward with a new Data Services Consultant. Please let us know what of these visualizations are useful to continue or other questions that you have or ways you might use the data.

1.      Could be used for marketing a collection, justify the collection to the municipalities

2.      Will look at highlighting data visualizations and making the link more obvious on the Data & Statistics page

3.      Renee Daley: I have used these dashboards [on the Data & Statistics page] for information for some of my library board members. It has great information.

4.      Nicole Ozanich: Our Director has shared these with our board as well. I think that making it easier to find would immensely help to encourage people to use these more often, thanks!

b.      Approve 2022 Meeting dates: February 15, April 12, June 14, August 9, October 11, December 13

                                                              i.      Kris Houtler moved to approve the meetings as listed, Shawn Brommer seconded, motion approved.

                                                             ii.      Discussion: Same format as usual, second (mostly) Tuesday of the month at 9 a.m.

c.       Decide if 2022 meetings will be online or hybrid

                                                              i.      Melissa Roelli moved to keep meetings virtual, Alex LeClair seconded, motion approved

4.      Reports

a.      Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity in Action (IDEA) Team (Mark Jochem). See Links on meeting page for report.

b.      Social Work Intern Cohort (Mark Jochem). See Links on meeting page for report.

                                                              i.      Liability questions from libraries. Understanding is that the students are the insured through their respective schools of social work. Students follow the core competencies for social work. At the point of their internship, they have received extensive training to avoid those liability concerns. There will be a lot of supervision from the schools of social work. They understand were not social workers so they will connect the students with social workers in the community.

                                                             ii.      Looking for specific examples of projects for social work students to do at the libraries: staff training, creating resources, what could the students be doing? Any feedback or suggestions to Mark Jochem or Shawn Brommer.

 

5.      Discussion

a.      Library visit project

                                                              i.      Reports on new visits

1.      No new visits since last meeting

2.      Wait on more follow up until more visits are completed

                                                             ii.      Updates on grant discussion

1.      ARPA: the project funded was the Locker Project. Possibility that SCLS will fund some of the other grant projects through the technology non-competitive ARPA funding. Also, state budget included an increase in system aid and SCLS allocated $100,000 to go towards projects or resources for libraries. We are planning on having discussions in 2022 to figure out projects to use this money towards. Send your ideas to Vicki Teal Lovely, Marty Van Pelt, or Jean Anderson. This may be on the March All Director meeting as a topic for discussion.

a.      Revisit the ARPA Grant applications to use as a basis for ideas.

                                                           iii.      2022 Foundation Fund ideas (Any projects that may not be funded by ARPA that would be appropriate for the foundation?)

1.      Will find out in January what the next allocation from the SCLS Foundation will be. The funds have typically been in the $4,000 $6,000 range. That funding will also be in the mix for supporting some projects. If you have ideas for how this funding can be spent, let us know.

a.      Melissa Roelli (MTH): I'd love to see the SCLS scanning kits get an upgrade. Our patrons love using them to scan slides and photos, but I think there is newer stuff out there.

6.      Items from clusters for initial discussion: None.

 

7.      Plan for next meeting: February 15, 2022 via BlueJeans

 

8.      Adjournment: Alex LeClair moved to adjourn, Kris Houtler seconded. Motion passed. Adjourned at 9:56 a.m.

For more information about the Library Innovation Subcommittee, contact Rose Ziech.

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.

Library Innovation Subcommitee/Minutes/2021-12