Library Innovation Subcommittee Minutes

February 15, 2022, 9:00 am

BlueJeans

 

 

Action Items: None

 

Present: †Kris Houtler (REE), Laura Fuller (STP), Renee Daley (ROM), Alex LeClair (LDI), Leah Fritsche (DEE), Melissa Roelli (MTH)

Absent: Mehta Hess (MFD), Angela Noel (BRD), Alicia Woodland (MCM).

Excused: Tim Drexler (SCLS), Nathan Rybarczyk (BAR)

Recorder: Tamara Ramski

SCLS staff present: Craig Ellefson, Jean Anderson, Rose Ziech, Tracie Miller

 

1.      Call to order time 9:00 am

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors

                                                              i.      New Member-Laura Fuller (Branch Librarian for Portage County Public Library) is replacing Nicole Ozanich.

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      Changes:

1.      There will not be a discussion about 2022 SCLS Foundation money.

2.      Added discussion: Collection Development (Alex LeClair).

                                                             ii.      Additions: None

c.       Requests to address the Committee: None

 

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: December 14, 2021

a.      Changes or corrections: None

b.      Approved by motion: †Alex LeClair, Kris Houtler

 

3.      Action items: None

 

4.      Reports (for Committees only)

a.      Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity in Action (IDEA) Team. See Documents on meeting page for report.

                                                              i.      Jean-Webinars, large group discussions, and independent study will be offered.

b.      Social Work Intern Cohort. See Documents on meeting page for report.

                                                              i.      Interns will be placed in March.

c.       ARPA grant follow-up (Jean).

                                                              i.      SCLS was awarded ARPA grants in two categories.

                                                             ii.      Priorities and needs identified through the ARPA grant process will continue to be addressed.

1.      Jean and Vicki are working on determining needs and funding.

2.      SCLS received an $81,000 non-competitive technology grant.

3.      $100,000 in system aid is available.

4.      Possibilities: Movie licenses, RFID tags and tagging stations, outdoor charging stations, eternal wireless.

5.      Discussions about this will take place at the March 17th All Directors Meeting.

6.      Other ideas for use of the funds can be submitted.††

5.      Discussion

a.      Removed from agenda: Ideas for using SCLS Foundation 2022 money.

                                                              i.      Foundation fund money for 2022 and 2023 will go towards meeting spaces and the collection room at the new SCLS headquarters.

b.      Library visit project.

                                                              i.      Kris-welcomes everyone to REE.

1.      They have new pick-up lockers.

a.      They integrated Capira software into the workflow with the Smart Access locker system.

b.      They are promoting it through their Friendsí newsletter, in the newspaper, on the radio, and through emails.

c.       Exploring providing pick-up lockers at other locations in the community (ex: the grocery store).

2.      They have a new initiative for community outreach-RPL On The Go.

c.       Collection development issues† (Alex)

                                                              i.      Is there a role libraries, or a committee, can play in developing a list of things that are not in the collection but that would be valuable additions to collections?

                                                             ii.      Can collection development be guided by providing titles or formats not available elsewhere?

1.      Older or locally created materials.

2.      Extinct or rare formats: CDís, DVDs, vinyl, video games

3.      Titles not common or available through streaming options.

                                                           iii.      Is there a list of specialized/boutique vendors for rare materials or formats?

1.      Amazon is the place that Alex starts, Criterion is another option.

                                                           iv.      Could there be groups, with people with passions about specific topics, that create lists of recommended titles (beyond new releases or most popular).

                                                             v.      Kris-A patron in REE was a film critic. She will reach out to him about how to curate movie lists.

                                                           vi.      Laura-Could there be a general place to share what libraries have purchased?

1.      She looks at MPL newsletters for ideas.

                                                         vii.      Melissa-MTH started a vinyl collection, but it is not that popular. New releases are not available on CD. CDs that get checked-out tend to be older ones. CDís that were displayed as a Lucky Day item were more likely to get checked-out. DVDs are still checked out often.

                                                       viii.      Laura-Metacritic is a good review website. STP notices a big difference in popularity of format checked out between the main branch (Stevenís Point) and the branch libraries. CDs and DVDs are more popular in libraries with older patron group. CDís of a local band (Horseshoes and Hand Grenades) is constantly checked-out.

                                                           ix.      Jean-Recommends Book Riot (by genre), Check-Your-Shelf or Novelist-(thru Badgerlink).

                                                             x.      Jean-Dane County used grant funding to have different libraries pick different topics to focus on for purchasing materials that were not already available.

1.      Leah-DEE was part of that project and purchased books on exercise and wellness.

                                                           xi.      Kris-OLL is used quite often at REE. Is there a list of things SCLS has ordered for their libraries that were requests from other system?

                                                         xii.      Jean-OLL and ILL requests can be used for collection development workflow processes.

 

6.      Items from clusters (for Committees only): None

 

7.      Plan for next meeting: April 12, 2022, BlueJeans

a.      Continue collection development discussion.

 

8.      Adjournment: †Alex LeClair moved to adjourn, Kris Houtler seconded. Motion passed. Adjourned at 9:54 a.m.

For more information about the Library Innovation Subcommittee, contact Rose Ziech.

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.

Library Innovation Subcommittee /Minutes/2022-02