Library Innovation Subcommittee Minutes

June 14, 2022, 9 a.m.

BlueJeans/ SCLS Headquarters-Chester Room


Present (BlueJeans): Renee Daley (ROM), Mehta Hess (MFD), Kris Houtler (REE)

Present (at SCLS): Leah Fritsche (DEE)

Excused: Laura Fuller (STP)

Recorder: Tamara Ramski

SCLS staff present (BlueJeans): Rose Ziech, Tim Drexler, Tracie Miller, Shawn Brommer, Tamara Ramski

SCLS staff present (at SCLS): Mark Jochem, Jean Anderson


1.     Call to order time 9:06 a.m.

a.     Introduction of guests/visitors: None

b.     Changes/Additions to the Agenda: None 

c.      Requests to address the Committee: None


2.     Approval of previous meeting minutes: April 12, 2022

a.     Changes or corrections: None

b.     Approved by motion: Leah  Fritsche, Renee Daley


3.     Action items: None


4.     Reports (for Committees only)

a.      Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity in Action (IDEA) Team (Mark Jochem)

                                                    i.     Libraries Talk about Race recording is available on the project website.

                                                   ii.     The IDEA team is planning for the next project.

b.     Social Work Intern Cohort (Mark Jochem)

                                                    i.     UW Stevens Point does not have any interns available for the Fall 2022 semester. They are looking for alternative opportunities or interns to place for the Spring/Summer 2023 semester.

                                                   ii.     UW Madison is processing student practicum applications for 2022.

5.     Discussion

a.     Collection Development User Group follow-up.

                                                    i.     SCLS staff met to discuss starting a Collection Development User Group.

                                                   ii.     Shawn shared the group’s purpose statement and project examples (from a Google Document).

                                                 iii.     Rose: Since this will be ongoing, and not a one-time project, it will be a user group and not a work group

                                                 iv.     Shawn: Will have an email list created for the group. Shawn, along with co-moderators will manage the list.

                                                   v.     Jean: A meeting will be scheduled to discuss the next steps for the group.


b.     LIS members visiting libraries.

                                                    i.     Mark visited Reedsburg. Reported that it is a great library. Impressive adult literacy collection. Nice use of space and neat that many furnishings are repurposed from other libraries.

                                                   ii.     Kris: It is great fun going on tours and also great fun having guests. Guests point things out that they take for granted.

                                                 iii.     Kris: For their staff in-service days they like to tour other libraries as a group.

                                                 iv.     Leah: Not an in-person visit, but saw an innovative video on YouTube by the Mt. Horeb children’s librarian, “The Journey of a Library Book.”


6.     Items from clusters (for Committees only): None


7.     Plan for next meeting: August 9, 2022 via BlueJeans

a.     Discuss putting out a call for new LIS subcommittee members.

b.     Collection Development User Group follow-up.

                                                    i.     Action item: Create email listserv.

c.      LIS members visiting libraries.


8.     Adjournment:  Shawn Brommer moved to adjourn, Leah Fritsche seconded. Motion passed. Adjourned at 9:29 a.m.

For more information about the Library Innovation Subcommittee, contact Rose Ziech

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.

Library Innovation Subcommittee /Minutes/2022-06