Multi-part DVDs Packaging Workgroup Notes

July 19, 2022, 9:00 am

Phone/video conference (Zoom)


Action Items:



Present: Tom Campbell (MAD), Kathy Wolkoff (MEA), Eric Crow (MTH), Autumn Baumann (POR), Rebecca Swanson (FCH),  Heather Garvey (SUN), Nate Snortum (DCL), Sarah Bukrey (STO), Katelyn Van Lankvelt (SKC), Alison Wirth (STP), Eric Norton (MCM), Margie Navarre Saaf (MAD), Kate Odahowski (MAD), Sarah Hartman (MID), Nancy Kessenich (WAU), Sue Ann Kucher (REE)

Absent: None

Excused: Judy Taft (ACL)

Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)

SCLS Staff Present: Vicki Teal Lovely, Amy Gannaway, Kayla Linke



1.      Call to Order at 9:04 am.

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors. None.

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda. None.

c.       Requests to address the Committee. None.

2.      Approval of previous meeting notes: February 25, 2022 and March 2, 2022

a.      Motion: T. Campbell moved approval of the February and March meeting minutes.  E. Crow seconded.

b.      Discussion: none.

c.       Vote: motion carried.

3.      Action Items

a.      None.

4.      Discussion

a.      Update on cataloging and packaging from Collection Maintenance Subcommittee

                                                              i.      Discussion: A. Gannaway reviewed the July meeting minutes from the CMS.  There were a few changes to the Videorecordings Searching and Matching Policy Multi-part items section.  They voted to replaceTelevision fiction mini-series: Separate” and “Television series: Separate” with “Television fiction mini-series and series: Together”.   They also voted to add “series” to “Non-fiction instructional, mini-series and documentaries”.  This is to clarify that fiction TV series and mini-series would circulate together, while non-fiction DVD sets would continue to be split. This will go to the ILS Committee for final approval in August. K. Odahowski asked about Kids TV show DVDs (such as Sesame Street) grouped together by “topics and not seasons.” In the past we have treated these as “TV series” so we would continue to do so in the future.

b.      Update on decisions from Circulation Services Subcommittee

                                                              i.      Discussion: V. Teal Lovely the CSS created a New ITYPE DVDSET with a 14 day loan period, hold policy of any hold, and limit of 2 renewals for Multi-part DVD TV series sets.  This will go to the ILS Committee for final approval in August.

c.       Issues to be moved to Collection Maintenance Subcommittee

                                                              i.      Retroactive packaging: We need a permanent place to continue to discuss issues or changes with the Multi-part DVDs Packaging project as we sunset this committee.  It is recommend that issues for discussion, such as new format types, problems, question about repackaging, etc. be moved to CMS. T. Campbell asked about the changes to matching moving forward.  If a library were to purchase a new copy of a set that exists in the catalog currently as individual discs, would we be asking them to break the set down or creating a new bib?  S. Kucher mentioned that REE has unique old TV series and that’s why she joined this group. She can see her staff and patrons struggling with the change.  We probably won’t consider retroactive for a while because we want to get through the change first.  The CMS’s next meeting is September 14.  It would be nice to have guidance before the change goes into effect on September 1.  T. Campbell suggested that we create new bibs for sets after September 1 even if there are existing matches. Eventually the old records would drop off, and libraries could choose to repackage their split sets and add them to the new record. However, in the past when we have made policy changes like this, we have not applied it retroactively. In the past the policy took effect for materials new to LINKcat and anything that matched existing records was done to match the existing records. The group decided we should do a survey.  Could we have something in the title to say full season?  This would help distinguish these full set records from the older bibs separated by discs.  Most patrons would only see this in the title.  This group could make a recommendation to CMS at the August 23 meeting.  We might need to schedule another meeting just to talk about retroactive.  We would add this question to the survey (ask if the new set matches the existing set should they match it or cataloged with new record as a full set?).  This is another question for the survey – how should we distinguish new bibs from older bibs (i.e. adding “full season” the title, etc.).  A. Gannaway will create a draft survey and send out to the group for feedback.  

d.      Issues to be moved to Circulation Services Subcommittee

                                                              i.      Late fees / replacement fees for single discs / sets:  We couldn’t get to this today, so the group decided to set a meeting to discuss the transition period.  V. Teal Lovely will create a doodle to find a time to meet in mid-August.

e.      Marketing, PR, Talking Points 

                                                              i.      V. Teal Lovely has started a very generic draft for the survey on talking points.  We will send out the survey draft to this group for feedback before sending it out to libraries.  We will discuss the results at the August 2 meeting.   

f.        Unresolved issues

                                                              i.      Exploring purchasing options

1.      We should discuss again and come up with a firmer recommendation.  This can wait.

                                                             ii.      Disc pool for orphaned discs

1.      If a disc is lost, should libraries withdraw the set?  Can they find a replacement to purchase?  Could there be a disc pool?  How would this be done?  SCLS couldn’t manage this for libraries, but we could provide tools/perhaps a form but libraries would need to populate it.  This can also wait. 

5.      Plan for Next meetings:  August 2 via phone/video conference to discuss the repackaging transition period and talking points for patrons.  V. Teal Lovely will work on a time for those who expressed interested in this topic.   

a.      August 23 meeting via phone/video conference will be dedicated to marketing and patron talking points. 

b.      Schedule a meeting for mid-August to talk about late fees/replacement fees for single discs/sets. 

c.       Create a doodle to find a regular meeting time

d.      Follow-up discussions

e.      Drafts of two surveys to go out to libraries

f.        Sunsetting the workgroup – We will keep this group going for discussion topics. 

6.      Adjournment at 10:29 am


For more information about the Multi-part DVDs Workgroup, contact Vicki Teal Lovely.


SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.


Multi-part DVDs Workgroup/Notes/7-19-2022