Multi-part DVDs Packaging Workgroup Notes

September 27, 2022, 1:00 pm

Phone/video conference (Zoom)


Action Items:



Present: Tom Campbell (MAD), Eric Norton (MCM), Judy Taft (ACL), Rebecca Swanson (FCH), Heather Garvey (SUN), Nate Snortum (DCL), Sarah Bukrey (STO), Katelyn Van Lankvelt (SKC), Alison Wirth (STP), Sarah Hartman (MID), Nancy Kessenich (WAU), Margie Navarre Saaf (MAD), Sue Ann Kucher (REE), Kathy Wolkoff (MEA)

Absent: Eric Crow (MTH), Autumn Baumann (POR), Kathy Baker (MFD)

Excused: Kate Odahowski (MAD)

Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)

SCLS Staff Present: Amy Gannaway, Heidi Oliversen


1.      Call to Order at 1:06 pm

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors

                                                              i.      None.

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      T. Campbell added “Discussion about how to handle variety and sketch comedy shows” as 4d. 

c.       Requests to address the Committee

                                                              i.      None.

2.      Approval of previous meeting notes: August 2, August 19, and August 23 meeting notes

a.      Motion: T. Campbell moved approval of the August 2, 19, and 23 meeting notes.  A. Wirth seconded.

b.      Discussion: none.

c.       Vote: motion carried.

3.      Action Items

a.      None.

4.      Discussion

a.      Juvenile Item type – DVDSETJ14

                                                              i.      Discussion: H. Oliversen reported that CSS is recommending the additional of this item type to the ILS Committee.  They no longer charge overdue fines on juvenile materials so need a separate Item Type.  Other libraries in the system also do not charge overdue fines on juvenile materials.  This is on the agenda for the October ILS Committee.

b.      Review Google form submissions

                                                              i.      Discussion: There was one submission asking “how do we handle volumes within seasons?”  This library received a donation of Outlander from a patron.  Previously, a single season was published as two volumes.  Now libraries can order the entire season that includes both volumes.  This was discussed at the Cataloger meeting.  The record was put in for the full season.  This was consistent with the Linking Manual language where a single season gets one bibliographic record. Please continue to submit questions/comments on this form and this group will review them at each meeting. 

c.       Begin retro discussion

                                                              i.      Discussion: How could we handle retro?  REE has a pilot project going on right now on repackaging because they have a significant amount of unique titles.  There seems to be interest from some libraries in moving forward with a retroactive project.  Catalogers would have to decide how much they can handle.  How would a library choose which titles to start to repackage (most popular titles, etc.)?  Not every library wants to repackage these materials, and it will not be mandatory.  T. Campbell has done some sets that already existed in the catalog as disc records.  Anything over the past 5 years, he’s got records in a local save file.  He can go in and find the record he worked on and make modifications to create a set record.  He did a dozen in one hour and 15 minutes.  Anything older than that takes a little more work.  He has to find a set record in OCLC and then copy it from Bibliovation into OCLC.  This process isn’t always seamless.  He might enlist other catalogers or ask about getting some extra hours to help work on this.  We’re not sure when we are starting retro because it’s dependent on cataloger workloads.  What should be tackled first?  H. Garvey asked if holds would get canceled on single discs without notifying the patron?  Yes.  If items slowly drop off the bib, some patrons might notice and place new holds, but it would then fill those holds on the single disc more slowly.  The bib would eventually get deleted which would delete the holds.  The bibs could be merged but that would cause duplicate holds.  This would be an argument for not doing high demand items first.  Holds would need to be manually cleaned up which can be very time consuming.  Should libraries focus on newer published items but with less demand? We could look into having a report available that libraries could use as a place to start. The report could be for records that have been in the catalog for at least six months and would display the number of holds. In the retroactive project, we should make it clear to stay away from items with lots of holds.  Libraries should wait until the holds die down for a popular item.  A. Gannaway will meet with the catalogers and work on a plan for the next meeting as well as investigate creating a report. The group agreed that libraries interested in doing a retroactive project would focus on recently published titles that don’t have a lot of holds (item has been in system for at least 6 months with a 2021 or 2022 publication date).  Catalogers can notify libraries during busy times when they will be unable to work on retro.  The retroactive plan draft will be reviewed at the next meeting.       

d.      Discussion about how to handle variety and sketch comedy shows

                                                              i.      Discussion: T. Campbell reported this question has come up recently.  He is seeing BSEs for all different types of sets and wants to let people know what the parameters are.  He has seen some variety shows entered and thought it would be good to clarify.  They tend to be a gray area.  They are not fiction but not necessary nonfiction either.  How should these be treated?  Should they be circulated as sets like fiction or split up like nonfiction?  He is leaning towards treating them as fiction and circulating them as a set as they seem more for entertainment purposes than educational.  “Rowan and Martin’s Laugh-in” as an example.  N. Snortum stated that a lot of this stuff was ordered by DCL.  They were purchased off of Amazon with the assumption they would circulate as a set.  They were specifically purchased for homebound/nursing home patrons.  They used to circulate these items as a kit on a generic record.  The workgroup members thought variety shows and sketch comedy show titles should be kept as a set and treated as fiction materials.  We can add some examples and clarification to the Linking Manual.  In the future, if you’re not sure how an item will be treated, please feel free to use the form to ask before you order it.

e.      Questions, comments, feedback on multi-part DVD change

                                                              i.      Discussion: H. Garvey asked “Can we submit problem bib reports to ask that "All discs" and "Full set" be added to the records of 1-disc fictional TV series and miniseries?”  Yes.  It’s not going to prevent anyone from finding a record they are searching for.  The problem bib form is appropriate for reporting these existing records in the catalog.   

5.      Plan for Next meetings: October 25, 2022 at 1 pm via phone/video conference

a.      November 22 and December 27 meeting dates?  They are near the holidays.

b.      November 29 instead (5th Tuesday instead of the 4th Tuesday).  The group was in agreement.

c.       December date?  We will discuss this at a later date when people might know their holiday plans better. 

6.      Adjournment at 2:07 pm


For more information about the Multi-part DVDs Workgroup, contact Amy Gannaway.


SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.


Multi-part DVDs Workgroup/Notes/09-27-2022