PAC Subcommittee Minutes

May 16, 2018 9:30 am

SCLS Headquarters

Chester Room

 

Present: Tina Marie Maes (MAD), Jake Ineichen (MAD), Jenny Carr (MID), Emma Cobb (VER)

Absent: None

Excused: Robin Krueger (PIN), Rachael Page (DEE)

Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)

SCLS staff present: Amy Gannaway, Rose Ziech, Kayla Linke

 

1.      Call to order time at 9:32 am.

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors

                                                              i.      None.

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      Changes: None. 

                                                            ii.      Additions: A. Gannaway added 4f - Bibliovation design subgroup. 

c.       Requests to address the Committee

                                                              i.      None.

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: March 21, 2018

a.      Changes or corrections: None.

b.      Approved by consensus.

3.      Action items

a.      None

4.      Discussion items

a.      Updates

                                                              i.      Monthly Don’t Miss Lists

1.      As discussed at the March meeting, the retention has changed to Current Year plus 2 years. Lists older than 2016 were removed. Amy wrote a blog post about this to notify libraries. 

                                                            ii.      Best Sellers

1.      Rose needs to put tracking on this page still and we’ll review the results at the next meeting.

                                                          iii.      Read On Wisconsin lists

1.      Amy removed the old lists and created links that go directly to the Read on Wisconsin web site. She still needs to ask Shawn about this. We will review this at the next meeting. 

                                                           iv.      Fiction Best Sellers (2009-1881)

1.      As discussed at the last meeting, these were removed.

                                                             v.      Oprah's book club, 2003-2011

1.      As discussed at the last meeting, these were removed.

                                                           vi.      Oprah's book club, Through April 2002

1.      As discussed at the last meeting, these were removed.

                                                         vii.      AFI's 100 Years 100 Movies, 10 top 10

1.      As discussed at the last meeting, these were removed.

b.      Chapter a Day

                                                              i.      Discussion: Amy came up with a sample page based on the discussion from the last meeting.  Amy created links by year for 2018, 2017, and 2016 (Current Year plus 2 years) and also added cover art.  The committee liked the page. 

                                                            ii.      Next steps: Amy will make switch the Chapter a Day page to the new page and write a blog post to announce this.

c.       Design of next OPAC (ILS-independent)

                                                              i.      Discussion: Members discussed the various OPACs they were assigned to review.  There was a theme of not having too much clutter on the home page.  Most PACs don’t require patrons to select a library before searching.  Some had options to add banners to highlight certain services (databases, etc.).  On the majority of home pages, the search box was prominent and offered a gallery for popular items.  Each PAC appeared to have a default keyword search.  The Subcommittee discussed examples of what they liked and what they didn’t. Formatting icons seem useful. Some displayed the availability of items with color coding.

                                                            ii.      Next steps: See 4f below.        

d.      Bibliovation discussion areas

                                                              i.      Social media logins

1.      Discussion: This is an option, but the Subcommittee members felt it should be turned off for security concerns.

2.      Next steps: Amy will turn these off in the sandbox.

                                                            ii.      Search results

1.      Discussion: The Subcommittee members decided to skip the discussion for now and revisit it for the Design Subgroup working meeting (see 4f).

                                                          iii.      Bib details

1.      Discussion: The Subcommittee members decided to skip the discussion for now and revisit it for the Design Subgroup working meeting (see 4f).

                                                           iv.      Facets

1.      Discussion: We can do more with these (reorganize order of facet display, etc).  Committee members are interested in having an Audience facet. Genre could be relabeled as Genre/Form as it’s about more than just genres. The Author facet only displays the $a, so Dr. Suess is displaying as “Seuss,”.

2.      Next steps: Amy will work with the facets in the sandbox and report issues to LibLime.

                                                             v.      Item lists

1.      Discussion: Could the Browse the Shelf link be moved to its own column? There are some other issues here as well, navigation arrows are missing and there is too much information displayed (e.g. could hide the author).

2.      Next steps: Amy will work with this in the sandbox and report issues to LibLime.

                                                           vi.      Browse searching

1.      Discussion: This is an authority record browse and it needs a lot of work. We cannot make changes to it without development. We could choose to turn it off. Should this be prioritized for go-live or can we turn it off for now. The Subcommittee members felt this isn’t necessary for go-live, so it can be turned off.

2.      Next steps: Amy will turn this off in the sandbox.   

                                                         vii.      Library PACs

1.      Discussion: It’s possible that we could discontinue the launcher script when we go to Bibliovation. We would still have separate “instances” for each library that would be branded for the library. We could make patrons choose a library or we could continue to have a generic interface that patrons could use without choosing a library. Committee members felt that patrons should not be “forced” to choose a library before searching, so they would want to continue with a generic search interface. It would be helpful if the patron’s home library could be displayed to them when they log in, because some patrons don’t know which library is set as their home library.

2.      Next steps: Amy will investigate the possibility of displaying the home library in the patron’s account. Also, SCLS staff will have to talk about the launcher script.

e.      Subcommittee rename (PAC to Discovery Interface)

                                                              i.      Discussion: PAC seems outdated, so SCLS would like to rename the committee to Discovery Interface Subcommittee. This decision would be made by the ILS Committee.

                                                            ii.      Next steps: The ILS Committee will discuss this at its June meeting.

f.        Bibliovation design subgroup

                                                              i.      Discussion: Do we need to create a group separate from the regular meeting to hash out the masthead/home page and other design elements for Bibliovation?  All of the Subcommittee members at the meeting were interested in participating. We will schedule additional “working” meeting(s) to discuss the design.

                                                            ii.      Next steps: Amy will send a doodle poll out to the Subcommittee to schedule an additional working meeting(s).

5.      Plan for next meeting: July 18, 2018 / SCLS Headquarters

a.      Updates on unfinished items, additional Bibliovation issues.

6.      Adjournment: 11:21 am.

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.

PAC Subcommittee/Minutes/05-2018