Technology Committee Minutes

February 6, 2019
1:00 p.m.

 

Action Items:  None


Present:
 R. Daley (1), J. Foster (2), L. Schmiedicke (3), C. Danner (4), L. Stippich (8), N. Snortum (9-10),  S. Kucher (5), J. Holmes (7), J. Schmidt (11-13)

 

(The number following each individual indicates the cluster they represent)

Also Present:
 M. Van Pelt

Absent:  R. Mader (6), M. Gartler, M. Spellman (11-13)


Chair:
D. Jacobson; Notetaker: H. Moe; Facilitator:  M. Van Pelt

Call to Order: 
D. Jacobson called the meeting to order at 1:02 p.m.

    1. Introduction of guests/visitors:  The new representatives introduced themselves.
    2. Changes/Additions to the Agenda:  None
    3. Requests to Address the Committee:  None


Approval of previous meeting minutes:  S. Kucher moved approval of the December 5, 2018 minutes
. J. Schmidt seconded.  Motion carried.


Action Items: 
None

 

Requests for New Service:  None

Discussion: 

  1.  Review 2019 Calendar

  2. Patron Computer Desktop Icon Review:  Dan provided a demonstration of the icons currently on patron pcs.  Each icon was discussed and reasons given for removing or keeping the icon on the desktop.  The following icons were suggested to be removed:  Google Earth, Paint, My Videos, My Music, Snipping Tool, and Internet Explorer.

 

J. Holmes moved to create an official list of icons to be taken to each cluster for further discussion and provide the clusters with the reasons the tech committee determined they could be eliminated.  Icons for consideration to be added are Calculator as well as a Workforce Development icon.  If a workforce development icon is added, what should it look like and what should it be named?  It was suggested Deb Haeffner could help with the icon design.  The Tech Team was given homework to determine if the My Docs icon could be moved into “computer” instead.  The technology committee will be informed of the tech team’s findings prior to the April meeting so the clusters have all the information necessary. 

Those bringing forward ideas and requests will be subject to the technology policy.

 

Discussion: 

Kill the snipping tool?  Some use, others don’t.  The technology committee asked to have the snipping tool added several years ago. 

Remove Internet explorer? 

If there is something that a library wants a patron to use, the library can put it on their website. 

How do we feel about links to websites on the desktop? 

In support of adding the workforce development icon… but there are a lot of icons.  In support of linking on each libraries website. 

How many are links to website resources?  There is one link.  Some suggestions:  make a folder and call it links and inside it put the links.

Is anyone going to go to that folder?  We don’t have metrics of the usage of the applications so don’t know how often used. 

We are reluctant to remove anything for fear of someone who is used to it.  So given this layout, are there too many or not enough? 

Too many from one person.  It seems that there are a lot there, but don’t want to get rid of any of it.

Google Earth:  Does anybody use it?  Yes.  But it’s a potential as a contender to be removed and uninstalled.

Is there an easy way to collect data to see who uses what?  No.

Accessibility tools – magnifier, etc. - keep

Remove access? 

Snipping Tool – want it on the start menu, doesn’t have to be an icon. But want to keep.

Paint – on chopping block?  Paint.net offers more options.

 

Need to check with clusters for opinion.

Add Calculator and links to Workforce Development. 

Is anything missing from the desktop?

If want to add workforce dev. link – keep as long as a staff member is actively employed to keep link up to date. External links are harder to maintain. 

 

 

Reports

 

  1. a. Technology Report: You may review the report online

 


Items from Clusters:


Plan for next Meeting:

  1. Discussion:  Review service priorities for May All Directors
  2. Discussion:  Preliminary 2020 technology budget proposal

 

Annual Cluster Representative Training & Refresher:

  1.  M. Van Pelt reviewed the cluster representative job description and meeting protocols.

 

Meeting evaluation and Summary:

 

Adjournment:   2:30 p.m.

 

SCLS staff is available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.

 

TC Minutes 2-6-2019