A free app that makes keeping track of your child's reading both easy and fun!
The 1000 Books before Kindergarten reading program encourages parents and caregivers to read to children ages five and under. The goal of reading 1,000 books before kindergarten is to provide your child the learning readiness skills needed to enter kindergarten. It may sound like a daunting task, but if you read just three books every day, at the end of one year you will have read 1,095 books.
This app makes keeping track of the books both easy and fun.
- Anyone who reads to your child can easily track books by using the scanner on their mobile device to populate the list (simply scan the UPC code on the back of the book)
- Titles read multiple times are allowed and can be scanned in multiple times
- Titles that aren't found by scanning can be manually typed into the list
- List of books read can be emailed at any time to save or print
- Get reading tips when you log in
- Up to 5 children can be added to one account, each with a separate reading list. (If you have more than 5 children under the age of 5, you can add another account.)
- Unlock achievement levels within the app when your child reaches specific numbers of books
- Share your reading achievements with friends and family on facebook and twitter using the “share” button
- Check with your local library for possible additional fun rewards along the way and proudly show them your list once you've reached 1000 books!
Brain development science shows it is never too early to start reading to your child. Unlock your child's learning potential by better preparing him or her for kindergarten.
About the App (UWM App Brewery)
- Information for Library Staff (PowerPoint)
- Information for Library Patrons -- Info & FAQ for App (Word)
- Fast and Easy Instructions (see Tips section)
- News Release (Word)
- Newsletter & Facebook Information
- Customizable Introduction Flier (Word)
- 11x17 Poster (.pdf)