South Central logo SCLS Home
SCLS Committees
LINK Committee
Search
 


LINK Minutes

December 8, 2005
SCLS Administration

Present: Cambridge – Behm; Columbus – Kindschi; Dane County – Chase; Deerfield – Fry; DeForest – Berg; Madison – Dimick, Grogan, Benno, Lee; Middleton – Nelson; Monona – Jaroch; Oregon – Cothroll; Plain – Palmer; Portage – Jensen; Poynette – Yurgil; Prairie du Sac – Endres; Reedsburg – Steiner, Mobley; Stoughton – Chevis; Sun Prairie – Zindars, Bird, Mosier; Verona – Hedrick; Wisconsin Dells – Borck; Wisconsin Rapids – Barnett; Wyocena – Canepa.

Absent: Adams County, Baraboo, Belleville, Black Earth, Cambria, Cross Plains, LaValle, Lodi, Marshall, Mazomanie, McFarland, Monroe, Mount Horeb, New Glarus, North Freedom, Pardeeville, Rock Springs, Sauk City, Spring Green, Waunakee.

Also present: Hamon, Davis, Blough, Teal Lovely, Oliversen, Rattunde, Dries, Barniskis.

Handouts:
LINK Long Range Planning Committee Minutes
Project Submission Form draft
LINK CSC (Circulation Services Committee) Minutes
LINK BSCC Minutes
LINK UEPR Minutes
LINK Collection Development Committee Minutes

CALL TO ORDER: Meeting was called to order at 10:10 am.

ESTABLISHMENT OF QUORUM: A quorum was established.

CHANGES OR ADDITIONS TO THE AGENDA: None.

APPROVAL OF MINUTES: P. Hamon moved approval of the October 2005 Minutes. P. Chevis seconds. Motion passed.

TREASURER’S REPORT: No report.

PROJECT MANAGER’S REPORT:

Automation staff are investigating ways to reduce the time it takes to generate, print and distribute monthly reports in light of the resulting delay in getting statistics to libraries. A memo from Vicki Teal Lovely was sent with the November reports asking for a review of those you currently receive. Automation has reassigned some of the reports to take advantage of early morning slow system periods. In the future we will not print the LINK Library Summary Statistics spreadsheet. We will send an email to announce when it is posted on the Circulation Reports page at: http://automation.scls.lib.wi.us/reports/circulation/circindex.html.

Wade at SirsiDynix has written the requested program to populate the PIN field of patron records. There will be no charge for the programming. Automation will run a test against a select list of Automation accounts to make sure that it: 1) populates records having no PIN with the patron’s birthdate in mmdd format; 2) if there is no birthdate in the record it will enter 0101 as the PIN; and 3) it will not change records that have a PIN assigned.

The Year-End Schedule is being reviewed and revised. It will be posted next week as LINK Memo 2005-22. BadgerNet’s new schedule for data circuit installations runs from February through August 2006. Some of the preliminary prep work has been completed at the LINK Central site in MAD Central. A meeting is scheduled for library staffs and BadgerNet personnel on December 13th at SCLS Admin. We may have more information after that session.

CODI and Horizon 8.0 news: While the merger of Dynix and Sirsi will strengthen the products LINK uses in the long run, it takes time to direct such a large scale reorganization. The current schedule for the release of Horizon 8.0 is March 2006. However, full functionality will be delivered with the release after 8.0 so we were advised to wait until that version is available. It is currently projected for release next Summer which would probably put the LINK conversion close to the end of 2006. Many of the CODI sessions revealed that LINK will benefit by the delay as new hardware options offer better performance at less cost. The Horizon software has been enhanced as former Dynix users request more robust functionality. Web Reporter will become the report production tool and will provide flexible scheduling and delivery. The major problem LINK faces as a result of the delay is that the current Dynix HP server reaches end-of-life in June 2006. Beyond that time we would not be able to purchase a maintenance contract for the HP K210 and would face the possibility of a long period of down time if the equipment failed and no parts were readily available. The repair would also be costly. We are currently consulting with A E Business Solutions locally and with Dynix to determine the most practical and cost effective step we can take to carry LINK through 2006. The cost of a small but adequate replacement server may be in the $10,000 range. To purchase one of the 3 main servers (at $50,000 to $80,000) that we will need for Horizon does not seem like the best choice to make now as the proposed hardware configuration is expected to change in the next 6 months. We would expect that the smaller server that we would purchase now could be used as a test unit in the new system. One of the good effects of the delay is that the BadgerNet and the Windows migrations will not be competing for staff time with the move to Horizon. The new Verona and Cross Plains library buildings should also be done. So the LINK conversion funds remain unspent but eventually they will buy more in system resources and we may have some of the large scale projects completed before we have to take on the Horizon migration. In addition, we are moving ahead with the implementation of Collection Agency and SelfCheck/RFID which initially we had hoped to schedule after Horizon was in place. More information on the server replacement options will be disseminated when it is received.

Lauren is the main LINK contact for Dynix. Please make sure to request information on Dynix products and services through her. There are two main reasons for handling orders this way: 1) volume discounts and 2) making sure the library’s project is included in the LINK Automation timetable.


COMMITTEE REPORTS:

LONG RANGE PLANNING: The committee recommended adopting a review process for all new LINK projects to be undertaken by Automation staff, and that the accompanying Project Submission form be required for initiation of the review. The current version of the Project Submission form posted on the Automation web site has to be printed, filled out and sent to Lauren Blough who will distribute it to the committee members. In the future, an online form will be created. When submitted online it will be electronically distributed to the committee. The committee will review the proposal, obtain additional information if required, and prioritize the request in view of current staff load and related costs. See the web page for instructions on completing the form at Project Submission Form: http://automation.scls.lib.wi.us/forms/index.html Do new projects suggested by a committee require this form? Yes. Projects under review will be posted on the committee web page. Vote: motion passed.

CSC: The committee discussed the status of the survey for out of system patron registration practices, RTH testing results, and improving the Parts Missing procedure. Some libraries are not following the current policy. The chapter in the Circulation manual and the LINK form are under review and the committee will discuss changes at their next meeting. There are two recommendations from the committee.
1. The committee recommends that LINK self-check libraries be allowed to cover up labels in the window on existing VHS materials, including library ownership labels. Vote: motion passed.
2. The committee recommends that each LINK library designate one staff member as the main contact for Circulation Problem Items. Vote: motion passed. The committee will ask for libraries to submit contact information for their Circulation Problem Items contact online.

BSCC: A fake title was entered in Dynix and it was eventually merged with the correct record. Patrons were upset with the holds queue being affected by this. This is a reminder to staff to not enter a record in the catalog unless you know exactly what the title will be.
1. The committee recommends that libraries not cover the window on VHS cassettes with ownership labels on any new materials. This will allow self check libraries to place duplicate barcodes on the windows when necessary. Vote: motion passed.
2. The committee recommends that we stop maintaining the public notes field in the Dynix copy record for purposes of OCLC union listing with the exception of Madison Public Library, Central branch only: OCLC now provides a link back to LINKcat, where each library’s exact holdings can be viewed in the automatically updated Dynix holdings summary. The public notes field will be deleted from all copy records (except MPL) in the spring. Vote: motion passed.
3. The committee recommends reducing the number of ISTATs by combining those with a few items into a larger category (see minutes for specific ISTATs). This will mainly apply to those ISTATs not being used. Vote: motion passed.

NEXT GENERATION - Did not meet. BadgerNet has released the revised implementation schedule. They are no longer migrating 50 sites in 30 days. The new schedule averages one site per day. There are multiple phases spread over several months. The new schedule will be much easier on staff time. There is also more time for cabling updates. There are a few sites scheduled in February. Pat and Greg are preparing for the migration and will start scheduling equipment installs with you starting in January. Network printing and ftp activities require adaptations. Most of these details have been worked out. PC ordering can be resumed sometime in February. Deferring PC Orders until April is helpful, but Automation will do what they can to accommodate more urgent requests. The fiber run was completed for the central site in Madison. Your site preparation checklist should be completed. You might not be contacted by the local phone company until the spring. The revised schedule will be released soon.

UEPR:
1. Mary and Nichole of SCLS displayed Captivate software, which allows you to create tutorials for patrons with very little effort. UW Madison and Calgary Public Library are currently using this software. The Automation office is going to go ahead and purchase some licenses. You will see some tutorials coming out in the future.
2. PIN PR: P. Chevis suggested creating a sticker to add to the existing bookmarks. There was not enough time to get that together. Deb Haefner came out with a sign to display at the Circulation desk. These signs are located on the handouts tables and libraries are encouraged to grab their share. Leftover signs will be sent via delivery to libraries who couldn’t attend this meeting. Libraries can get their own stickers if they wish. There was a press release from Mark Ibach regarding PINs and he can send you a press release to use for your library. Vicki Teal Lovely made changes to the web site wording, as recommended by the committee. Libraries will be notified of the exact date the PIN conversion will be taking place.

NETWORK INTEGRATION - Did not meet. BadgerNet has released the revised implementation schedule. They are no longer migrating 50 sites in 30 days. The new schedule averages one site per day. There are multiple phases spread over several months. The new schedule will be much easier on staff time. There is also more time for cabling updates. There are a few sites scheduled in February. Pat and Greg are preparing for the migration and will start scheduling equipment installs with you starting in January. CISCO does affect network printing and ftp activities. Most of these details have been worked out. PC ordering can be resumed sometime in February. Deferring PC Orders until April is helpful, but Automation will do what they can to accommodate more urgent requests. The fiber run was completed for the central site in Madison. Your site preparation checklist should be completed. You might not be contacted by the local phone company until the spring. The revised schedule will be released soon.

JTC: The committee did meet, but nothing critical was discussed. The minutes are posted online.

BUDGET: The committee met this morning. The existing LINK contract may need to be revised. They plan to address problems such as disconnecting a large number of public work stations, which unfairly shifts the budget burden. Conducting a survey is a possibility. The committee is going to review the LINK agreement and determine if the language can be more specific about what policies LINK can enforce, etc. The contract is up for review in 2007, so there is no rush at this point to change it.

DELIVERY ADVISORY: The committee met last week and reviewed Reduced Transportation Holds. The data is posted online. RTH has led to a significant reduction in delivery. The committee will review the data again in April and will monitor the results to make sure it continues. There have been more positive comments than negative from patrons. Problems/complaints arising from rarer items, but overall, RTH is working well. No committees are yet recommending a change of the 5 holds and 60 days parameters.

POLICIES: The committee met before LINK. The Automation web page link is now activated and you can find existing policies there. Please review them and we will discuss the policies further at the February meeting. The committee will recommend any policies currently up there without an approval date. Once all of the policies are posted, the Policies committee would dissolve. Policies that come to LINK from a committee for approval and will be posted online once approved. New policies will be submitted at the February meeting and sent on to appropriate committees. Policy is something that does not appear in a manual. An example of a policy is that libraries will follow all recommendations/procedures in Circulation Manual. If something is listed within a manual, it is considered a procedure. Procedures are normally brought to LINK from a committee and then the appropriate manual is revised to reflect this.

COLLECTION DEVELOPMENT:
1. The committee recommends amending the Policy on Hold/ratios. They want to amend the topic to Member purchasing responsibility. The committee amended their recommendation, changing the word "expected" to "required". Amendment vote: passed. Vote: motion passed.
2. The committee recommends requiring the default status of items newly linked be AR or PR. The Linking Manual currently states that new materials should be checked in through circulation or that the status should be changed to "In Library" using USI to trap any holds. However, if “In library” is the status, there is no reason to checkin the item to trap the holds. V. Teal Lovely pointed out that the status for on order in Cataloging is actually OR, not AR. Julie moved to amend the recommendation to include OR. P. Chevis seconded. Amendment vote: passed. Vote: motion passed. If a library has “In library” as the default setting in Cataloging, it will be changed to OR or PR. All libraries will then need to check the items in or change the status in USI to trap holds and change the status to "In Library" before the item goes out to the shelves. This change will be reflected in the Linking manual.
3. The committee recommends creating a policy on shared collections to clarify when it is OK to have a rental and/or browse collection (see committee minutes for the complete draft policy). This is a new policy. This policy came about from the discussion regarding the “Lucky Day” and "Free Rental" collections at some LINK libraries. If a library wanted a rental or browse collection, they would use ITYPE "T" or "V". However, there are differences in how rental and browse items circulate. Also, rentals can’t go through self-check. Do we need two more ITYPEs? This topic will be sent on to CSC committee to work on this problem of wanting to maintain both rental and browse collections. Vote: motion passed.

RFID: S. Hedrick detailed the tour of libraries the committee took in October. Automation wants everyone to reach an agreement on one equipment vendor for RFID to make support manageable. The committee recommends ITG as the vendor of choice. Dynix assured us ITG will work with 3M products currently in place. LINK Libraries would be required to buy ITG equipment when replacing 3M self check equipment. ITG costs are significantly lower. LINK is not prepared to introduce RFID in 2006, but libraries want to purchase self checks that will be RFID ready when LINK can implement this technology. Vote: motion passed.

CIRCULATION STANDARDS: Did not meet but motion from last LINK meeting was for directors to take recommended standardized ITYPE loan periods back to their library boards and get their input. Some directors reported on whether or not they had taken this issue to their board and contributed opinions on whether or not they thought standardization was viable.

NOMINATIONS: The committee recommends the following candidates: Maureen Palmer of the Kraemer Library & Community Center (Plain) for Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect, Denise Anton Wright of the New Glarus Public Library for Secretary, and Julie Chase of the Dane County Library Service as the Treasurer. Vote: motion passed.

COMMUNICATION: None.

OTHER BUSINESS:

1. Location change for April meeting. A room scheduling conflict arose at SCLS Administration and the April LINK Meeting will be held at the Sun Prairie Public Library.

Meeting adjourned at 12:03 p.m.

 

For more information about LINK, contact LINK staff at (608) 266-6394.