South Central logo SCLS Home
SCLS Committees
LINK Committee
Search
 


LINK Minutes

October 8, 2009

Present: Adams – Calef; Baraboo – MacDonald; Belleville – Christensen; Brodhead – Rosa; Cambridge – Behm; Columbus – Kindschi; Dane County – Chase; Deerfield – Fry; DeForest – Berg; Lodi – Millard; Madison – Grogan, Lee; McFarland – Selle; Middleton – Westby; Monona – Gerber; Monroe – Guralski; Mt. Horeb – Unruh; New Glarus – Anton Wright; Oregon – Santner; Plain – Palmer; Prairie du Sac – Endres; Poynette – Daugherty; Reedsburg – Steiner, Mobley; Sauk City – Heidenreich; Stoughton – Vache; Sun Prairie – Herold; Verona – Simons; Wisconsin Rapids – Barnett; Wyocena – Friesen.  

Absent:  Black Earth, Cambria, LaValle, Marshall, Mazomanie, North Freedon, Pardeeville, Portage, Rock Springs, Spring Green, Waunakee, Wisconsin Dells.

Also Present:  Davis, Blough, Teal Lovely, Barniskis, Oliversen, Gannaway, Dries.

Call to Order:  The meeting was called to order at 10:05 am.

Establishment of Quorum:  J. Endres reported that we do have a quorum.

Changes or Additions to the Agenda:  Report from Tele-messaging Task Force.

Approval of Minutes from the August 2009 Meeting:  Vote: motion passed.

Treasurer’s Report:  No report.

Project Manager’s Report:  Lauren passed around a handout to call attention to the schedule for the move of the SCLS staff offices.  There will be an interruption of services but there are only three confirmed dates at this point.  Your staff should expect some downtime on November 20th and 23rd.  On November 20th Automation moves to 4610 S. Biltmore.  We are going to try to have the Help Desk established in MAD or at the new building on the 20th.  It will depend on the situation and events as they occur.  Please check the Status Wiki for updates. Greg ran an Explorer program for the Sun server on October 2nd.  The report will be run again and reviewed after we move the equipment.  This is a requirement for recertification under the maintenance warranty.  The recertification is scheduled for Monday morning, November 23rd, and the expectation is that libraries will only be using PC Reliance in the a.m.  We hope to have services up on Saturday and Sunday, November 21st and 22nd.  There may be additional downtime that cannot be predicted.  24 servers need to be moved and complications could arise.  Some have to be installed and operating before the next one can be moved, and so on.  We will post events that will result in interruptions to the status wiki to keep you updated.   As soon as we have details of any pending work we will alert library staff.  New phone numbers will be assigned to Automation staff and we’ll have a different phone system to adapt to support needs.  Phone numbers will be distributed as soon as they’re confirmed.  This is especially important for the TeleCirc publicity.  The handout distributed is an extremely simplified version of a very complicated process.  We do have backup procedures in place and equipment spares for emergencies.  SCLS Administration will be closed and moving on the 19th.  SCA’s telephone numbers are not going to change.  The new morning operator started on Monday, October 5th.  Cindy is busy training her. The Broadband Fiber federal stimulus grant application that DOA filed in August was one of 30 from Wisconsin.  Currently the Governor is reviewing and prioritizing them.  The new RFID gates at SUN have been installed.  They will be doing the SelfCheck conversions and be operational by the end of the month.  FIT planning on opening with RFID but they are also analyzing costs for installing automated sorting.  MSB and RKS both opened recently after their renovations.  Based on the recent email survey 8 libraries are opened on Sundays.    

Computer Systems Integrator’s Report:  The downtime for most of services during the move will be minimal.  There will be a lot of downtime behind the scenes that libraries won’t be knowledgeable of (before 8 am and after 9 pm).  Status updates will be continually provided.  We are eager to get AT&T confirming our service at the new location. 

Migration Report:  Vicki passed around a schedule for migration.  We will start doing data mapping from Dynix to Koha in December so we need to make decisions about our new codes soon.  Collection Codes will need to be standardized and how we gather statistics will be different.  Amy will be working with the migration committees via webinars to go over this concept with them, and Amy and Vicki will contact libraries to explain how this will impact their collection codes.  We will need the new codes to be approved at the December meeting.  The entire process will run through May. 

LibLime and Automation staff have prioritized the development projects into three phases starting in November and running through August 2010.

LINK library staff training will take place in the summer of 2010.  We are putting together a wireless lab that LINK approved so that we can do regional hands on training in July.  One person from every library will be required to attend hands on training for each module.  Then these staff will go back to train staff in their own library.  In late August, we will do webinars and also online tutorials as refreshers. 

When we cut over to Koha, we will be stopping ACQ, CAT, and SER for 1 to 2 weeks.  The exact go-live date has yet to be determined but it will be around Labor Day, 2010. There will be approximately 2-3 days of downtime for Circulation.  Handouts will be posted online.

COMMITTEE REPORTS:

Governance Task Force:  The last meeting was on September 18th.  The Russells produced a report which will be posted shortly on the Technology Blog and announced to SCLS Libraries.  Questions raised during the meeting were used to create an FAQ.  This is still in the works.  The ILS agreement has been revised with the addition of more SCLS responsibilities.  Work is currently being done to bring in some of the voting language from the original LINK agreement.  Legal advisors will review it.  The Task Force resolved some of the cluster questions and came up with resolutions (votes for clusters: MAD gets 3, DCL gets 2, everyone else gets one).  The group voted that we have At-large representation for the Administration Council broken down by geography.  MAD and DCL would not have an At-large representative on the Council.  There will not be At-large committee elections.  The Task Force is creating talking points documents to help directors explain the governance changes to their boards.  Stef is going to run the document by pilot libraries first and then it will be distributed to everyone.  The group also created a cover memo for library boards and directors.  SCLS needs both copies signed by end of December, so the changes can happen in January.  Webinar sessions will be scheduled to allow board members to ask questions.  The fee structure won’t change for 2010, but a group will be assigned to review budget shares for 2011.  And it could remain the same.  It just depends on what the group decides.      

CSC – Heidi reviewed the minutes from the last meeting. CSC recommends the following be included with the rest of the procedures for items missing from the Hold Shelves:

Missing from Holds Shelf procedure
When processing the daily RHSA report (pulling items that have expired on the hold shelf) and you cannot find an item or if a patron cannot find an item that should be on the hold shelf …

1. Check out the item to your agency’s Hold Shelf patron card.

2. Give a due date that is FIVE MONTHS from today’s date.

3. If the item has not shown up by the due date, and overdue notice will be generated. This will trigger a contact to the owning library for a shelf check (and a local shelf check as well).

4. Four weeks after the shelf check request, if the item has not turned
up, the bill notice will be generated. At this time, the item will
have been missing for over 6 months.

5. Payment will now be sent to the owning library. 

Vote: motion passed.  SUN is interested in reviewing the limits for ckos again. Heidi is running reports every week to count the number of patrons that have more than 50 items checked out and/or more than 50 holds.  Right now the average number of people at any one time that have more than 50 items checked out is less that one percent of the active patrons in the entire system.  This topic has been brought to this body before.  REE is currently using an ITYPE group code which limits a particular patron and item type.  This is used only to prevent self checkout.  This group agreed to make ITYPEs standard and changes to PTYPEs are only determined by this body.  If a library have a cko limit on a format, it is a manual limit which can be applied only if patrons cko at a counter.  J. Chase moved adjournment of the meeting.  J. Berg seconded.  Vote: motion denied.  Can a DVD cko limit be set that includes the limit on the self check units?  Heidi is investigating this currently.  This topic will go back to CSC for a more detailed discussion and investigation.    

BSCC – Did not meet.

UEPR – Amy reviewed the minutes from the last meeting.  Recommendation to
LINK that we send a mass email notifying Telecirc patrons who have email
addresses about the Telecirc phone number change and also promote email
notification to them at the same time.  Vote: motion passed.

JTC - Did not meet.  The next meeting is cancelled due to lack of agenda items.

Budget and Personnel – No report.

Delivery Advisory - No report.

Communication – None.

Other Business:

  1. Telemessaging Task Force Report Appointment.  The Executive Committee would like to appoint the following people to the Telemessaging Task Force; Pearl Mosier, Kristine Millard, Brian Simons, Elizabeth Bauer, Eric Norton, Brendan Faherty.  Vote: motion passed. 

The meeting was adjourned at 11:20 am.