The Library Innovation Subcommittee is a proactive working group that responds to innovative library service and program ideas from all SCLS Member Library and System staff. We are aware of trends in the library profession and in the world at large, we learn about new ideas from library colleagues & community partners, and we identify possibilities for program execution. We hope to inspire and foster new library innovations and identify methods for implementation in libraries of all sizes. The Library Innovation Subcommittee champions ideas and successes of all SCLS member libraries and staff.
The group is a trusting one that explores new ideas. We are comfortable asking questions, discussing concerns about topics, exploring outcomes, and creating solutions.
- The Library Innovation Subcommittee monitors trends and innovation specifically in the library world, but also the world at large.
- We meet regularly both in person and virtually.
- We elicit service and program ideas from all library staff.
- We share ideas with all stakeholders in the System.
- The Library Innovation Subcommittee is not solely responsible for implementing suggestions and ideas. We gather and share ideas with appropriate Member Library and System staff and existing committees and work groups.
- We support program implementation by checking in with appropriate staff and committees and by communicating updates to all Member Library and System staff.
- We facilitate idea-sharing gatherings for all library staff.
- We plan innovation webinars and workshops.
- An idea is submitted to or formed by the Library Innovation Subcommittee
- The Library Innovation Subcommittee discusses the idea—explores costs, barriers, opportunities, resources needed, etc.
- Gauges interest/commitment of member libraries.
- If idea is recommended for implementation a proposal will be forwarded to appropriate system staff or existing SCLS committee, subcommittee or work group.
- Implementation is dependent on existing schedule of on-going projects.
- Subcommittee regularly submits reports to Administrative Council.
Inspiration and Goals:
Member library directors and staff reported the need for SCLS System staff to be visionary and facilitators of ideas and innovation in the March 2013 All Directors’ Cluster Survey and throughout the 2013 annual Library Visits conducted by SCLS staff. Library directors and staff also reported a need for opportunities to informally gather and share ideas with one another. The goals of the Library Innovation Subcommittee are:
- Monitor current trends and innovations and determine how they can be adapted for SCLS member libraries.
- Encourage ideas and innovation among all library staff; share these ideas system-wide.
- Nurture new innovation ideas and help library staff at all levels move it toward implementation.
Regular, timely, and transparent communication with all library and system staff, SCLS committees, and library boards is crucial for this subcommittee. Clear meeting notes will be taken at all subcommittee meetings by a member of the SCLS staff. Methods of communication include:
- Updates, meeting notes, and notices of action items will be posted to the subcommittee’s web site.
- The subcommittee will make use of technology, such as Google sites, blogs and link sharing services to share information with each other and with members of the SCLS community.
- Reports will be submitted to the Administrative Council and appropriate SCLS committees.
- Meeting notes will identify action items and timelines and will explain reasons for decision