The South Central Library System (SCLS) has services and resources available to assist staff at SCLS member libraries with digitizing their local history materials. Many materials that are digitized can be added to the Recollection Wisconsin and the Digital Public Library of America websites.
General digitization project workflow:
- The SCLS Digitization Specialist will visit the library to review the materials to be digitized and to gather information that will go into planning the project.
- Project plans and metadata templates will be provided to the library.
- With guidance from the Digitization Specialist, the library staff/volunteers will be responsible for preparing, digitizing, and creating metadata for materials in the collection.
- The Digitization Specialist will coordinate setting up the library’s collection with Recollection Wisconsin.
- The Digitization Assistant will upload the collection’s image files and metadata to the digital asset management platform CONTENTdm.
- The library staff will be responsible for promoting and sharing the digital collection.
For SCLS member libraries, Recollection Wisconsin set-up fees and hard-drives for storing digitized materials can be provided by the South Central Library System Foundation. CONTENTdm is hosted by the Milwaukee Public Library and the annual hosting fees are provided by the Wisconsin Public Library Consortium (WPLC).
For ongoing information and updates, subscribe to the SCLS Local History Digitization User Group mail list.