SCLS has a collection of story kits and program materials. The story kits typically include puppets, flannel board pieces, story props and scripts, and books related to a central theme. There are other non-story kits such as puppets, a set of ocean science materials, chess clocks, and a parachute with cds to play during programs. A small Ellison die cutter, a Sizzix cutting machine, and a button maker are also available from SCLS Delivery.
Story kits are available for member library staff. They are not to be loaned to individual patrons or groups.
To reserve materials, send an e-mail to delivery staff with your request; in order to provide you with the best service, please contact delivery staff as early as possible with your request. Please contact Shawn Brommer with any questions regarding the Story Kits and Program Materials.
Over 200 hundred balls of various sizes and shapes for activities and play, with suggestion sheet. (For added fun, request the parachute and use it with the balls. Suggestions are included with the parachute.)
BIKES, TRIKES, AND WAGONS
1. The Box With Red Wheels by Maud and Miska Petersham (Aladdin Books, 1986)-A wooden red wagon, white hankie for blanket, doll, dish towel and these stuffed animalscow, horse, lamb, pig, duck, chick, kitten, bunny and dog, Book and Script
2. "Bicycle Built for Five" by Jan Irving and Robin Curry, (from Full Speed Ahead, Libraries Unlimited, 1988.)-Flannel Set of 1 bicycle and 4 unicycles with 4 connecting bars, six cardboard disks and six dowels to act out the story, script and directions
3. "Dragon In A Wagon" a flannel board poem.
4. BOOKS:A Bicycle for Rosaura by Daniel Barbot (Kane/Miller, 1991); D.W. Rides Again by Marc Brown (Little Brown, 1993); My Bike by Donna Jakob (Hyperion, 1994); Stella and Roy by Ashley Wolff (Dutton, 1993).
5. Additional materials include: fingerplays, poems, a bike racing poster and a metal model of a red speed bicycle.
1.Jennie's Hat by Ezra Jack Keats (Harper, 1966). Story props include a little girl's Easter hat, plastic eggs, feathers, fancy cards, ribbon, etc., that are pushed into the hat or attach with velcro.
2.Good Night Owl by Pat Hutchins (Macmillan, 1972). Owl tries to sleep but all the other animals keep Owl awake. So when the moon comes out, Owl screeches and wakes them all up. Set includes flannel pieces for Owl, 4 bees, squirrel, 3 sparrows, 2 doves, moon, and a tree.
3.Feathers for Lunch by Lois Ehlert, (Harcourt, Brace, Jovanovich, 1990). Colored feathers help re-tell the story
4. "Birds Fly" by Louise Bender Scott in Learning Time With Language Experiences (McGraw Hill, 1986). Finger feathers help tell the finger play
5. Readers' Theater sets for "The Crow and the Pitcher" from Overhead Transparencies for Creative Dramatics-Fables I (Creative Teaching Press, 1989)
6. BOOKS:Counting Is For The Birds by Frank Mazzlola, Jr. (Charlesbridge, 1997) Crinkleroot's Guide to Knowing the Birds by Jim Arnosky (Bradbury, 1992) Have You Seen My Duckling? by Nancy Tafuri (Puffin, 1986) and Catskill Eagle by Herman Melville (Philomel, 1991)
7. Additional items include: Folder of bird poems, finger plays and crafts, and patterns for hats, Folkmanis Goose, Crow, Robin, Bluebird, 3 Baby Birds in a Nest puppets; Set of 10 vinyl birds
BUBBLES AND BATHS
1. Bubble Machine/instructions, packed in bubble wrap (FRAGILE)
2. Water Wheel (Gowi, Reg Design A-8055)
3. Miscellaneous bubble supplies: fountain connection/instructions; bubble mix/soap; recipe for bubbles; bubble wands (PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD/SHARE)
4. Books: The Bubble Factory by Tomie dePaola (Grosset & Dunlap, 1996); The Unbelievable Bubble Book by Jon Cassidy with David Stein (Klutz, 1987); Soap! Soap! Dont Forget the Soap by Tom Birdseye (Holiday House, 1993); King Bidgood's in the Bathtub by Audrey and Don Wood (Harcourt, 1985)
5. Folder of finger plays, songs: "Rub-a-Dub-Dub" by Annalisa Suid (Monday Morning, 1996)
6. Other:Bathtime Magic cassette by Joanie Bartels (BMG Music); Splish Splash Bath Time Fun cassette by Ed Mitchell and Christopher Cerf (Children's Television Network, 1995);SUDS card game (Gamewright, 1997)
WARNING: The bubble maker is messy!! If on carpeting or another surface you don't want wet, place towels or a tarp beneath it before turning it on.
BUGS AND OTHER CREEPY CRAWLIES
1.The Very Busy Spider by Eric Carle (Philomel, 1984). Flannel Board pieces. Spider can not stop to talk to the animals that come to visit her because she is busy spinning her web.
2.The Grouchy Ladybug by Eric Carle (HarperTrophy, 1977). Flannel Board pieces A grouchy ladybug challenges animals throughout the day to a fight, but always says, "Oh, youre not big enough," and flies off to start another fight. She meets her match when she challenges a whale.
3. "The Grasshopper" from Love The Earth, Exploring Environmental Activities for Young Children by Patty Claycomb (Gryphon, 1991). Flannel Board pieces for the poem.
4.Buzz, Buzz, Buzz by Byron Barton (Macmillan, 1973). Script and Flannel Board pieces.
5.The Bee by Lisa Cambell Ernst (Lothrop, Lee and Shepard, 1986). Script and Flannel Board pieces and props. The hive can also be used with the poem "Here Is the Beehive."
6. Flower and bug props to tell poems about caterpillars, ladybugs or grasshoppers with poem cards.
7.I Wish I Was A Butterfly by James Howe (Harcourt, Brace, Jovanovich, 1987) Script for use with puppets.
8. Water Spout piping, and stick puppet sun and rain cloud for the "Eensy Weensy Spider" nursery rhyme.
9. Laminated lightening bugs for a lightening bug game and directions.
10. The Folkmanis puppets include: butterfly/caterpillar, bee, ladybug, grasshopper, spider, lightening bug and dragonfly.
11. Readers' Theater sets for "The Ants and the Grasshopper" from Overhead Transparencies for Creative Dramatics-Fables I (Creative Teaching Press, 1989)
12. BOOKS: Darkness And The Butterfly by Ann Grifalconi (Little Brown, 1987); Fireflies! by Julie Brinckloe (Aladdin, 1985); Fireflies in the Night by Judy Hawes (HarperTrophy, 1963); How To Hide A Butterfly by Ruth Heller (Platt & Munk, 1985); In The Tall Tall Grass by Denise Fleming (Holt, 1991); More Bugs in Boxes by David A. Carter (Simon and Schuster, 1990); Old Black Fly by Jim Aylesworth (Holt, 1992); The Very Quiet Cricket by Eric Carle (Philomel, 1990); Watch Harry Grow! by Demi (Random, 1984); and
13. Additional items include: A clear plastic bug observation jar; bag of individual plastic magnifying glasses; bag of plastic bugs, butterfly rubber stamp, file of bug headband patterns from Paper Hat Tricks I, II, and III by Ann Diebel and Patt Newbold (Papers Hat Tricks, 1991) and a file of bug poems, songs and fingerplays.
BUTTON MAKER - you will need 2 1/4 inch button-making supplies, which can be ordered from Badge-a-Minit or may be available from local retailers.
1. Electric fire pit (Amazon)
2. Sequoia Tree Wildlife fingerpuppet set: tree,squirrel, blue jay, owl, rabbit, bear and fox. (Folkmanis)
3. Tent fingerpuppet set: tent, bear, raccoon (Amazon)
4. Moose puppet (Amazon)
5. Books: Camping Day by Patricia Lakin (Dial, 2009) , Duck Tents by Hiroe Nakata (Henry Holt, 2009), Maisy Goes Camping by Lucy Cousins (Candlewick, 2004), Toasting Marshmallows: Camping Poems, by Kristine O'Connell George (Clarion, 2001).
10 chess clocks for tournament-style chess play.
COLOR AND MOVEMENT
(Former Dance Kit; updated by Karen Wendt 3/03)
1. 35 fabric scarves in cloth storage bag
a. Dancin Magic by Joanie Bartels (Discovery Music, 1991)
b. Streamer and Ribbon Activities by Henry "Buzz" Glass and Jack Capon (Activity Records, 1976)
a. I Went Skipping story. Includes: doll; 6 animal finger puppets: frog, bat, ladybug, bear, bee, dragonfly; script adapted for use with the book I Went Walking, by Sue Williams (Voyager Books, 1989).
b. Rainbow Poem and Drawing activity. Includes: 1 box of markers, script
c. Make a Rainbow activity. Includes: bucket, 2 apples, orange, banana, pear, grapes, 6 strips of colored felt to make the rainbow, wooden spoon, script.
4. Program ideas packet: Includes finger plays, activity ideas
a. Color Dance by Ann Jonas (Greenwillow, 1989)
b. 2 is for Dancing by Woodleigh Hubbard (Chronicle, 1991)
c. Dance Away by George Shannon (Mulberry, 1982)
d. I Went Walking by Sue Williams (Voayger, 1989)
e. My First Jumbo Book of Colors illustrated by James Diaz and Melanie Gerth (Scholastic, 2002)
1. 550 Duplo bricks (no need to count these out!)
2. 3 large gray base plates
3. 6 medium green base plates
4. 2 medium blue base plates
5. 5 large Ziploc storage bags - please put all Duplos back in these bags before packing them in the SCLS Delivery bin.
(NOTES: An overhead projector is needed to show the transparencies for "The Turnip" and in the Readers' Theater Set)
1.Music In The Night by Robin Michal Koontz (Cobblehill, 1993); Fiddle-I-Fee by Melissa Sweet (Little Brown, 1992) with animal characters (Can also be used for Old MacDonald Had A Farm)
2.Old MacDonald Had A Farm illustrated by Lorinda Bryan Cauley (Putnam's, 1989) and The Farmer In The Dell by Mary Maki Rae (Puffin, 1988) with finger puppets to help tell the story/song, or use the characters from above.
3.How the Rooster Saved the Day-Shadow Kit by Arnold Lobel (Greenwillow, 1977)
4.Wake Up, Sun! by David L Harrison (Random, 1986) flannel board set.
5. The Enormous Turnip-Shadow Set. This Reader's Theater set includes colored transparencies, script and costume patterns. (An overhead projector is needed to show the transparencies)
6. Fabric Animal Masks-Cow, Cat, Lamb
7. Folkmanis Puppets-Cow, Horse, Lamb 8. "Come Little Children" 9 piece flannel board set with script
9. BOOKS: Barnyard Big Top by Jill Kastner (Simon & Schuster, 1997); Big Red Barn by Margaret Wise Brown (HarperCollins, 1956); Farm Animals Camera Pull-Tab Book (Troll, 1990).
10. OTHER: A wooden music box that plays "Old MacDonald." Plastic farm animal mothers and baby pairs (14) to compare sizes and names of baby animals Set of Misc. Farm Flannel Pieces (39 pieces) A folder with fingerplays, cut and tell and other activities. We Learn All About Farms by Sharon MacDonald (Fearon Press, 1988) an Adult Resource Guide
1. 720 Flexiblock bricks (no need to count these out!)
2. 2 clear storage containers - please put all Flexiblocks back in these containers before packing them in the SCLS Delivery bin.
1. 4050 Lego bricks (no need to count these out!)
2. 10 small green base plates
3. 6 medium-sized green base plates
4. 3 medium-sized blue base plates
5. 3 blue Lego storage containers - please put all Legos back in these containers before packing them in the SCLS Delivery bin.
MONKEY SHINES KIT
1. Flannel board set for the "Monkey and the Crocodiles" with the pieces and script
2. "Counting Crocodiles" flannel story that includes enough crocodiles for the whole audience to wear one on their shirt and a stuffed monkey.
3. A set of hats is included with the book, Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina (Harper & Row, 1987); The Hatseller and the Monkeys by Baba Wague Diakite (Scholastic, 1999)
4. I'm a Monkey Kit includes a plastic tree, a barrel full of plastic monkeys and a crocodile puppet and script
5.Wise Monkey Tale by Betsy and Giudio Maestro (Crown, 1975) with flannel pieces
6. Other: File of ideas, poems etc.
1.Dear Mr. Blueberry by Simon James (McElderry, 1991).
2. Folkmanis Puppets: Shark, Lobster, Crab, Octopus, Scallop, Stingray, Clown Fish: Mini-puppets: Hermit Crab, Jellyfish, Octopus, Nautilus Sea Shell, Sea Star, Sting Ray, Star Fish.
3. BOOKS:The Curious Sea Horse by Stewart Cowley (Victoria House Publishing, 1995); Follow Me by Nancy Tafuri (Greenwillow, 1990); Going On A Whale Watch by Bruce McMillan (Scholastic, 1992); Herman the Helper by Robert Kraus (Aladdin, 1974); How To Hide An Octopus by Ruth Heller (Platt and Munk, 1985); In The Swim by Douglas Florian (Harcourt Brace, 1997); The Magic School Bus On The Ocean Floor by Joanna Cole (Scholastic, 1992); Nature Hide & Seek Oceans by John Norris Wood (Barnes & Noble, 1985); Ocean Parade by Patricia MacCarthy (Dial, 1990); Shell by Alex Arthur (Alfred A. Knopf, 1989); Under Sea Open Sesame by Kees Moerbeek (Price Sloan, 1997); Whales and Other Sea Mammals by Elsa Posell (Childrens Press, 1982); Winter Whale by Joanne Ryder (Mulberry 1991);
4. Additional items: folder of fingerplays, script for a fish story using Alka-Seltzer tablets, patterns for hats from Paper Hat Tricks II by Patt Newbold and Anne Diebel (Paper Hat Tricks, 1988); File of songs and poems; Dolphin Rubber Stamp Resource Books: Acorn Magazine (Nov/Dec 1997 issue) by Susan Pagnucci (Bur Oak Press, 8717 Mockingbird Rd., Platteville, WI 53818); Exploring Water and the Ocean by Gayle Bittinger (Warren Publishing House, 1993); The Seas by Mel Fuller (Instructional Fair, 1994); Sea Animals by Diane Williams (Teacher Created Materials, 1993); Sea Life Activity Booklet (Educational Insights,1990); The Seas by Mel Fuller (Instructional Fair, 1994); Terrific Topics Oceans by Danielle Schultz (Carson-Dellosa, 1996); Whales by Kathy Buffington et. al. (Scholastic, 1992)
OCEAN SCIENCE KIT
1. Specimens: Coral, Sand Dollar, Sea Bean, Sea Biscuit, Sea Fan, Sea Horse, Sea Star, Sharks Jaws, Spiny Oyster, Sponge; Shells: Bear Paw, Chiraga Spider, Conch, Cowry, Egg Cowry, English Flat Shell, Fawn Cowry, Green Abalone, Golden Cone, Pearl Turbo, Sun Shell, Sun Dial Shell, Tibia Shell, Turritella Snail, Whelk Feet, Urdin Other: Sea Shells Rubber Stamp
2. BOOKS: Along a Rocky Shore by Judith E. Rinard (National Geographic Society, 1990); Shell by Alex Arthur (Alfred Knopf, 1989); Tide Pools and Coral Reefs by Jeanne King (Teacher Created Materials, Inc., 1993)
3. Other: File of fingerplays and songs
PAPER MAKING KIT
1. blue program folder
a. papermaking instructions (paper bowl)
b. papermaking booklist
c. kit contents list
b. blender jar
3. 7 small strainers
4. 1 white stirring spoon
5. 1 red wash tub
6. 1 blue wash tub
7. ice cream buckets
8. small sponges
9. plastic bowl molds
10. paper bowl samples
11. plastic/garbage bags, to use as tarps
12. shredded paper samples: please add your leftovers for others to use
Full size colored parachute and 2 music cds: 1) Kid's Dance Party, 2)Latin Playground.
NOTE: An overhead projector is needed for the Reader's Theater transparencies for "Rupunzel," "Hansel and Gretel," and "Rumplestiltskin."
1. Puppets-Witch, spider, bat, ghost
2. Four Scary Stories Puppets for boy, Imp, Goblin and Scalawag as well as the props to tell the scary story of each character and book.
3. Reader's Theater scripts and props to tell "Hansel and Gretel," "Rumplestiltskin" and "Rupunzel" all from in Fairy tales II Overhead Transparencies for Creative Dramatics (Creative Teaching Press, 1989). (An overhead projector is needed)
4.It Didn't Frighten Me by Janet Goss (Sterling, 1985) Kit includes: Shadow figures witch, bat, spider, cat, penguin, skunk, open book backdrop, and a short script and book.
5. "What Was I Scared Of?" from The Sneetches and Other Stories by Dr. Seuss (Random, 1961) a shadow board story, about some scary green pants.
6. The Humbug Witch by Lorna Balian (Abingdon, 1987) a stand up witch with removable clothing leading to a surprise ending.
7. The Brave Little Tailor Kit contains: little tailor puppet, book, script, cassette tape.
8. Liza and the Grumpeta Grumpet puppet and script to tell the story of a little girl who runs away only to find a friend who wants nothing more than a home.
9. The Hungry Thing puppet and food props to tell the stories
10. OTHER: In A Dark, Dark Wood by David A. Carter (Simon & Schuster, 1991) pop-up book; Folder with stories, finger plays and songs, Jack-o-Lantern Rubber Stamp and "I Know An Old Witch" on the cassette Magic Place by Robbie Clement (Tomorrow River, 1982)
SIZZIX SUPERSTAR MACHINE
1.Froggy Gets Dressed by Jonathan London (Puffin, 1992) with Froggy doll and removable clothing; hat, scarf, jacket, shirt, pants, and boots.
2.The Hat by Jan Brett (G.P. Putnam's, 1997) and props to tell the story; set of Brett masks to use to act out the story. Folkmanis puppets - pig, duck, hedgehog, rooster, kitten, horse. Includes clothesline, clothes pins, scarf, hat, socks, sweater, vest, long johns an script.
3.The Mitten by Alvin Tresselt (Mulberry, 1964) and The Mitten by Jan Brett (Putnam's ,1989) with props to tell either version; set of Brett masks to use to act out the story. Includes mitten and stuffed animals - raccoon, bear, fox, hedgehog, mouse, owl, rabbit and additional woodland animals; beaver, moose, skunk, squirrel and script.
4.The Snowman by Raymond Briggs (Random House, 1978) and stuffed snowman prop.
5. BOOKS: Dear Rebecca, Winter is Here by Jean Craighead George (HarperCollins, 1993); The First Snowfall by Anne and Harlow Rockwell (Aladdin, 1992); In the Snow by Huy Voun Lee (Henry Holt & Co., 1995); In The Snow: Who's Been Here? by Lindsay Barrett George (Greenwillow, 1995); The Jacket I Wear In The Snow by Shirley Neitzel (Mulberry, 1989); Katy and The Big Snow by Virginia Lee Burton (Houghton Mifflin, 1943); Kipper's Snowy Day by Mick Inkpen (Harcourt Brace, 1996); Millions of Snowflakes by Mary McKenna Siddals (Clarion Books, 1998); The Mystery of the Missing Red Mitten by Steven Kellogg (Dial Books for Young Readers, 1974); North Country Night by Daniel San Souci (Bantam Doubleday, 1990); Snip, Snip...Snow! by Nancy Poydar (Holiday House, 1997); Snow by Uri Shulevitz (Farrar Straus Giroux, 1998); Snowballs by Lois Ehlert (Harcourt Brace, 1995); The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats (Puffin Books, 1976); When it Starts it Snow by Phillis Gershator (Henry Holt & Co., 1998); When Winter Comes by Robert Mass (Henry Holt & Co., 1993).
6. Other: File of Crafts and Finger Plays; Mitten Match card game; 5 Felt Snowmen
7. Menorah and candles
8. Set of 3 jingle bells
9. Winter Holidays file folder (yellow) includes: "Angel's Christmas Cookies" flannel board story; flannel kinara and candles; dreidel activity sheets; holidays song sheet; and activity guide and booklet
1. Hey! Get Off Our Train by John Burningham (Crown, 1990). A 6 Car Train Set with the following animals, Dog, Elephant, Seal, Crane, Tiger, Polar Bear, an engineers cap, Book and Script
2. "Rainbow Express" by Jan Irving and Robin Curry (from Full Speed Ahead, Libraries Unlimited, 1988) A Flannel Story with Train Set in felt, gray on one side, and brightly colored on the other, Script, train whistle (courtesy of Darlene Cox in North Freedom)
3. BOOKS: The Little Engine That Laughed by Alf Evers (Price Stern Slone, 1987); Trains by Gail Gibbons (Scholastic 1987)
4. Additional items will include: Steam Train Ride Walker and Co., 1991; A Train Floor Puzzle, and file of Train Finger Plays and Poems
TREES AND FORESTS
1. Laminated tree with animals to tell the story of The Apartment House Tree by Bette Killion (Harper and Row, 1989).
2. Plush "Mr. Tree" puppet with three seasonal leaf sets to use with Here is a Tree song, adapted by Beth Hays (PDS).
3. Flannel Board Pieces to tell the story The Green Grass Grows All Around by Hilde Hoffmann (Macmillan, 1968).
4. Stick Puppets to act out the song "In the Forest You Will Find" from Our World by Gayle Bittinger (Warren, 1990).
5. Tree puppet to tell tree jokes from Out On A Limb by Scott K. Peterson (Lerner, 1990).
6. Other books included are: Hello Tree by Joanne Ryder (Dutton, 1991); In The Woods by Ermanno Cristini (Picture Book Studios, 1983); Mighty Tree by Dick Gackenbach (Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1992); My Father Doesn't Know About the Woods and Me by Dennis Heseley (Macmillan, 1988); Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf by Lois Ehlert (Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1991); Trees by James Endicott (Holt, 1992).
7. Other: Adult resource-Hug a Tree and Other Things to Do Outdoors with Young Children by Robert Rockwell et. al., (Gryphon, 1986); Forest Ranger shirt, "Smokey Bear" type hat, whistle; 3 forest posters; 3 hand stamps; File with songs, finger plays, poems and tree crafts.
1. Props for Little Beaver and the Echo by Amy MacDonald (Putnam's, 1990) and book.
2. Story head bands to act out In A Cabin In A Wood by Darcie McNally (Dutton, 1991) and book.
3. Flannel Pieces for May We Sleep Here Tonight by Tan Koide (McElderry/Atheneum, 1981).
4. Props to act out the story "The Picnic" in Skunk and Possum by Graham Tether (Houghton Mifflin, 1979).
5. Flannel board pieces to tell "Deer Me" by Pam Bosben of Cross Plains Public Library.
6. Folkmanis puppets include: skunk, beaver, squirrel and raccoon.
7. Additional books include: Animal Tracks by Arthur Dorros (Scholastic, 1991); Beaver at Long Pond by William T. George and Lindsay Barrett George (Greenwillow, 1988; ; In The Woods by Ermanno Cristini and Luigi Puricelli (Alphabet Press, 1983); Nature Walk by Douglas Florian (Greenwillow, 1989); Raccoons and Ripe Corn by Jim Arnosky (Mulberry, 1987).
8. Additional items include a folder with poems, songs, hat patterns and fingerplays about woodland animals.
RELATED PPC VIDEOS: Critter The Raccoon; How Mole Got His Trousers