This site is packed with ideas contributed by the youth services librarians of the South Central Library System and includes hints for successful storytimes, programs for young adults, book lists, web lists and other ideas for enhancing library programs for youth and their families. Please contact Shawn Brommer if you have ideas and success stories to share.
Book Discussion Groups
- ALSC Kids @ Your Library program - tips and tools for promoting library services to children and their families from the Association for Library Service to Children.
- Costume Specialists : Information about renting children's book character costumes
- Free Kids Coloring Pages: Printable full-page coloring sheets
- Kidz Club: flannel board templates and more
- Making Learning Fun: flannel board patterns
- Mel's Desk programming blog
- Saroj Ghoting's Storytime Share blog a great resource that provides storytime program ideas that use the six early literacy steps introduced by Every Child Ready to Read.
- SLP Cheers: Great library cheers for the Summer 2002 Summer Library Program
- Accessible story times: These web sites provide information for teachers and librarians searching for program ideas, games, crafts, stories and simple ways to make services and programs inclusive for all children.
- www.aacintervention.com Practical and easy ideas and instructions on making projects and program areas accessible.
- www.ataccess.org The Alliance for Technology Access is a national network of assistive technology organizations, resource centers and vendors. This site includes lots of ideas and resources for parents and teachers; the links section is probably most valuable for librarians.
- SLP Booklists: Suggested books for the 2002 Summer Library Program theme, "Join the Winner's Circle -- Read!"
- CCBC Booklists and Bibliographies
Book Discussion Groups
- South Central Library System's Book Discussion kits
- Madison Public Library's Book Discussion kits
- Web resources for book discussion groups
- Resources for helping children cope with tragedy: This webliography provides information about how to help children cope and links to other resources.
- Tsunami and earthquake resources: This webliography links to ready reference websites that provide information about weather, geography and how to help the victims of the tsunamis and earthquakes in southern Asia.
For more information, contact: